Help with first scalextric

Terry-1257404

You can always upgrade to digital later is what I usually tell people.

There are lots of advantages to digital: More cars in less space, lane changing etc... but the investment is higher.

The problem with that digital set is it is very old and the power base included is known to have a lot of issues.

The latest power base is called ARC PRO:

See the bottom of this page: https://uk.scalextric.com/community/advice/app-race-control

With two power supplies it can handle 5 cars easily.

There is one on sale in ebaykleinanzeigen.de for about 120€ I think...

Personally I used ARC AIR for a long time before going digital (ARC PRO has an analog mode that works like ARC AIR).

ARC ONE is OK but the powerbase does not allow the cars to brake: They just coast when you let go of the trigger. It does allow pitstops though which is fun...

So in an ideal world you would get a cheap ARC PRO, use it in analog mode until you decide to upgrade to digital for all its features.

Failing that I would get an ARC AIR.

Nearly as much fun is the ARC ONE with the "brake mod" which basically means getting an older analog Sports power base and putting it in the layout after removing a plug in the ARC ONE...

Technically there are no import duties from Great Britain BUT since items are coming outside the EU they must be checked that they are indeed of origin to Great Britain and THAT costs money.

Also you don't pay UK VAT but you do way local VAT. Usually in my experience the price difference is only 1-3% to what it was before Brexit.

It is a lot more hassle, takes longer and annoying but that is democracy for you...

On the page I linked above use the article or part number to find a seller at the usual online places. I can also recommend Slot Car Union in France...