3 Pole Motors

Paulclemy

I see all of the announced locos use 3 pole motors. How smooth will these run at slow speeds? I remember when Farish changed their motors to 5 pole units, it was like night and day. It was possible to creep the locos at very slow speeds, something you couldn’t do with 3 pole variants.

Apart from the 08 locomotive which is 3 pole all of Hornby’s Diesels use 5 pole motors and the steam locomotives use 3 pole. I have had no issues using 3 pole motors and my tiniest Arnold TT locomotive pictured below is a 3 pole and never had any issues and she’s a smooth quiet runner. Hope this helps. Freyforum_image_635817dfe442e.thumb.png.25707b11250647772afdb6662b283c1e.pngforum_image_635817efa7a51.thumb.png.2602a86d3a74396e02f9287bfc23f6b3.png

I don't think it's a big deal if the gearing ratio is appropriate. Yes 5 pole motors may be a little less "coggy" when running slow but a decent 3 pole motor can give perfectly good performance. I have probably 300+ Continental N gauge locos, a very high percentage of those are older models with 3 pole motors and run very smoothly at slow speeds.

I have no big concerns, let's just see how the TT locos perform when they arrive.