Impromptu running session

Rana Temporia

After being ill with covid most of last week I decided on a spur of the moment to set up a circuit of track and run some locos to cheer me up a bit. Using track that hadn’t been used for some time showed the real difference between nickel silver and steel track. Note to get rid of all the steel track I still have!

I set up with one of my old Tri-ang controllers. Some erratic running at first with stiff locos that have been in storage for some time so out came the sub-£10 home made PWM controller. What a difference! Second note to make sure I finish off the second one for when my layout is ready.

So what did I run? Firstly a couple of my Tri-ang Baltic tanks. After a couple of circuits they both ran faultlessly. I then ran a number of Tri-ang Dock Shunters. All the ones with replacement smooth wheels ran perfectly after the first couple of circuits. The only one (My second electric loco) that I have retained the serrated wheels on really didn’t seem to like the controller. I will give it a thorough clean and try again in the future.

A GBL Ivatt tank body on a modified Hornby Ivatt chassis ran faultlessly, as did a number of Lima locos. MY HD Co-Bo also ran like a new ‘un as did a couple of Hornby Acho locos. My biggest surprise was a Jouef 1960s French Bo Bo which had always been a poor runner but which after a couple of circuits was controllable down to a steady crawl in both directions and which was much quieter than usual. I need to try some of my other old Jouef/Playcraft locos like this.

My only comparatively recent model, a Hornby Harry austerity tank, the prototype of which spent a lot of its life in a scrapyard less than a mile and a half from where I’m sat, was controllable down to less than walking space all round the circuit whether on steel or nickel silver rail.

So a good session which helped cheer me up a bit and some further learning. I did know the PWM controller was good for older locos but it also looks like it’s the same for more modern ones as well. As it can cope with 2.5A I can also choose my power supply to deliver what my old locos need.

Maybe I need a session with my clockwork locos next!

@RT

You're lucky your Covid only lasted a week. When I had it in July I was very ill for a week then had a persistent cough for over a month.

Good to hear about people running older locos as my loco collection is 95% second-hand.

I am in the process of designing a 3 or 4 channel controller for a new layout and have been debating whether it should be pure DC or PWM. If you would be willing to share the information I would be interested in the circuit details of your PWM controller.

Topcat, the covid hasn’t gone I am just able to walk about now rather than be in pain ever time I moved. I am working again now as well, lucky I am currently home based so no need to infect others. Still got the brain fog, cough, blocked nose etc. horrible!

I used the BMR 3D printed PWM controller case which was £5, I’m not sure if they have gone up since. The power supply and PWM circuit were off eBay and were around £4 for both with free overland delivery from China which takes several weeks. They are available direct from UK suppliers but much more expensive. Everything comes ready assembled with speed control and a combined on off and 2 way switch. If you were building your own case that are all you’d need. I would just make sure that the power supply can deliver enough amps for your locos.