Club Circuit C.743

DevonPaul

Hi recently obtained the above set (55 yrs since my last Scalextric!) and have a slight problem. The set contains all the items listed on the box (and many other parts as well) but when I set the track up the 3 section banked curve does not join up it appears too narrow to meet the other side of the track and the first straight pieces on each side of the curve are not parallel to each other, one side is maybe 1/3 of a track longer than the other. As there are no instructions I aim assuming that the schematic on the box - 3 curves with dashes on the outer apex - does represent a banked curve? Can anyone tell me the part number for these so I can check if I have the correct curves please, also any ideas as to why the track doesn't line up.

Thanks in advance

Hi There and welcome,

That is an old set using the older "classic" track.

The few pictures I can see of the packaging do not seem to indicate that there is a banked curve in that set.

You likely just have very warped, old track. Warm the track up as best you can without melting in and try to flatten it out...

If you are sure it should have banked curves:

To my knowledge the banked curve available back then was a very steep bank like at Brooklands. Because of that there are two small straight pieces about 78-87 mm in length that have a very slight slanted edge that you need to make things join up.

The look like regular 78-87 mm pieces of track so they are easily mixed up with the standard pieces. https://www.actionslotracing.co.uk/products/scalextric-1-32-classic-track-pt99l-pt99r-banked-curve-lead-in?variant=21714634439

(I am NOT endorsing that page, just it was the easiest place to show the track...

The modern "Sport" has R2 and R3 (R=radius) banked curves but these are much flatter...

That set is so old and the pictures found online are so low res that I can`t be sure, however it is fairly rare for Scalextric to put "special" track in a set like R1, R3 or R4 radius curves or banked curves.

Any exception is the latest NASCAR / Stock car track that came out a year or two ago with banked curves and I think there was an Indy car set that came out at the end of the "Classic" era or right at the start of the "Sport" era that also had banked curves.

I know in the 60`s and early 70`s it was more common but that set looks more late 80`s or 90`s...

So the chances of them being part of the set are slim but not impossible...

Hi Andy

I have attempted to send a pic of the track components shown on the side of the box but the reply just hangs. Having looked at the track more closely although it matches up with the contents (other than the curves in question) it contains track marked Triang, Hornby & also Spanish Scalextric so it’s essentially a mongrel set. Maybe I should just concentrate on my Le Mans set from the same period which does appear genuine and complete and use the Club for spares/extensions. Having just thought about the pic posting, format might be the problem as IPhone default is HEIMC

Cheers Paul