Tri-ang Deeley 3F loco

Rana Temporia

I recently found one of these in a box of spares with the funnel missing and logos worn off the body although the tender is near mint. I had no idea I had it so it probably came as part of a job lot a long time ago.

Looking at photos online it doesn’t look as though, like the Jinty, this a class ever received the mixed traffic lining in BR days so loco and tender should be just plain black. Did any members of the class ever receive the lining?

Also, i can’t find a single photo of one of these locos with the type of tender as supplied by Tri-ang. As I believe it was made for this loco it must be prototypical. Any info would be useful in getting it back to an operational loco as it runs perfectly and I already have a near mint original version.

So far as I am aware the tender is a Fowler, not a Deeley - this is Triang we are talking about and they never bothered much about protypical realism. They will have gone for whichever tender would have the widest application. I think I am right in saying that the same tender was even used on the L1. I do not believe that the prototype loco ever sported lining. Good old Triang, I love them to bits.

The tender most definitely better represents the Fowler type and would be more suitable for a 4F locomotive. Honestly, suprised Tri-ang didn't make the locomotive more representative of a 4F; that would not have been too difficult, as only the buffer beam would have needed correction to make it "look the part".

I am not sure pictures exist of lined examples, I have never seen one and have looked out for them for many years, without luck.

Either way, the model was always a favorite of mine, especially in the later maroon MR livery.

There were 3 versions of the 3F, all with the ref of R251. Four if you count R251S, which came with smoke. The tender in every case was an R33.

The first 3F appeared in 1958 (cat.No.4) The tender carried the early BR logo.

The following year, the tender had the later BR designed logo.

In both cases, the tender was sold as a separate item.

The 3F did not appear again until 1964 as R251S (i.e. with smoke) The tender was,once again, a separate item and had the late BR logo.

1965 saw 43775 as part of a set - RS61

In 1968 R251 appeared for the final time in Midland maroon as No. 3775.Once again with the option of purchasing the tender as a separate item!

When used in the set, the 3F became R661S. I guess, with this revised No., the tender came with the set - nuff said!

Anglia, they certainly have. I am just missing a couple of the very early Tri-ang ones but also have lots of 50s/60s/70s Jouef, Playcraft, British Trix etc. Also the ones I grew up with from Mainline (Palitoy) Lima and Airfix. I have a few modern ones but they don’t have the same feel as the older ones.