Please help with my Hockenheim McLaren MP4/10 v Renault Benetton

Hello folks, I've just joined so please excuse any rookie errors in my first post. I have a Hockenheim from some time in the 90s with a McLaren v Renault. The set works great. I recently purchased 2 Gt Lightnings and they are very fast in comparison to the original cars. They have much stronger magnets and hold the lanes very well. Too well in fact because I can hold both controllers to the max and the cars don't crash. Incidentally, one car is significantly faster than the other, regardless of lane or controller. Do I need a bigger power supply to race properly?

The problem is the rails of the "Classic" track in the 90`s is made up of a different alloy/metal and may have higher "traction" (magnetic force).

The newer cars are tuned to the newer Sport track which doesn`t "stick" as much.

You track going completely magnetless and remove the magnets from the cars easily. Or you can try inserting thin sheets of plastic (old food containers are a good source) to raise the magnet away.

There are also after market magnets that are stronger or weaker and even ones that are "progressive" meaning the are stronger on the ends than in the middle to only apply "downforce" when in curves.

With regards to the difference in performance this is likely down to one car`s axles or motor binding a little.

See here for general maintenance that should help performance parity:

https://uk.scalextric.com/community/advice/car-maintenance