Help to avoid silvering

I’m relatively new to scale modelling having not done any for 40 years or so. The one area I’m still struggling with is silvering of the decals, especially ones on the wings showing where not to walk. I’ve tried various gloss varnishes and the humbrol clear is the best so far but still has issues. I’ve tried airbrushing and brushing. Any suggestions are gratefully received. I use decal fix and softener as well

I'm not sure whether I've understood correctly that you are applying the varnish OVER the decals. If so this is not correct. I assume you mean clear lacquers. Varnishes are not often used now because they yellow with age.

Silvering occurs because air is trapped under the decal. Matt paints are especially good at trapping air. This is because matt paints have a rough surface that does not reflect light. That is why they look matt.

What one needs to do is to ensure the surface below the decal has a gloss finish. Best thing to do is to apply a couple of coats of clear lacquer over the matt paints till you have a nice glossy surface. You then apply the decal and it should sit nicely with no air being trapped beneath it. You can use a soft paintbrush to tease any air bubbles out from under the decal with soft strokes from the centre of the decal outwards.

Once the decal has dried out you can apply a matt lacquer over the top if that is the finish you want. Lacquers can be applied by brush but the finish is much better when using airbrushes.