Select Walkabout with Elite

Ali oop

Hi, I have connected a select as walkabout to elite Ok and can control locos correctly. I can not operate any points, they were originally programmed with elite and operate in sequence 1 to 20, I have tried all addresses 61 to 99 on select walkabout but still no joy with point control. Has anyone else come across this problem and found a solution. Thanks AL

Hi, yes I tried renumbering some via elite starting at 61 and had interesting results; the elite could control points, but not the select. I then reprogrammed the same points via select (not connected as walkabout), the select could control them when directly connected to the track, i.e. not as walkabout [elite was completely disconnected]. I then reconnected the elite and select walkabout, a) the elite can control the points, b) the select cannot. There appears to be some weird thing that prevents the select walkabout controlling the points even though it is able to control points when used as a standard select controller. I'm wondering if the elite needs to be in some different mode to recognise select walkabout point address codes. Note elite has V1.3 firmware (the latest). I'm sure I won't be the only person to have encounted this issue, seams a basic thing to solve (out of the box I would think). Thanks

What is the R number of your accessory decoders? If you have programmed your point address range using a SELECT starting at 60 to 63, you will find that when connecting to an ELITE controller the points will respond to 57-60. i.e. your first point in the group is 57 not 60. This is because, early SELECTs pre firmware 1.1, allowed 60 to be used as the first number within the first point group. Version 1.1 SELECTs start the point numbering for the first point group as 61-64. This corresponds with the normal NMRA practice..
-----------------------------
Get off the line Bobby.

I have both 8215 and 8247 decoders, the 8247 was reprogrammed for the test described above. The select is new bought this week and shipped from UK has number 45/10 on back, elite is a few years old has 13/07 on back. Any address below 60 the select appears to treat as a loco address. I will play some more with addressing, there must be an answer to this, appears to be basic functionality to me.

Oops should be 8216 and 8247 numbers above. I'm certain the address numbering sequence is correct for both controllers 61,62,63,64. Its just that only the elite can control the points when walkabout is connected.

So it appears the Elite needs to be set in Classic mode, not standard for the walkabout to be able to control the points. Can anyone advise the difference between classic and standard modes, what features are likely to be missing when elite is used in classic mode ?

I will email Hornby, I have also noticed that although walkabout select works in classic mode that computer control via USB port requires that Elite is in Standard mode, hence in my situation I can't have a select walkabout controlling points at the same time as I have computer control. Not exactly what I would expect for a flexible DCC control system, i.e. being able to have command station, computer control and walkabout integrated. Thanks

Archived