High Fell, BR (NER) in TT 120

Rallymatt

As I was thinking of this after getting the TTA wagons, I also started thinking this a small scene would make a great small shunting layout on its own that could be part of a module and be added to something larger as a main layout developed. Everything is available now, 08, TTAs, the oil silos and pumping kit and the Oil transfer shed is in TT:120 from Ben at DAPR (did the dock cranes) The ESSO logos are 7mm scale wagon ones from RailTec to suit the silos and shed. 
The tanker train arrives and reverses into the curved (headshunt) siding behind the terminal. 8 tankers are split off the train. Loco and remaining 6 pull forwards again into the reception siding on the dock. 08 lifts 4 tankers and pulls forwards on the quayside and backs them into one of the loading lanes, gets next 4. Then pulls first set forwards to fill the next two tankers, swaps lanes and repeat. First 4 are pulled clear and hooked onto the 2nd four, remaining 6 have been  pushed back into the curved siding, 08 collects those and pushes back into the free loading lane, the 8 full tankers are manoeuvred via the headshunt to a departing lane on the dock. Loco hooks up; 08 arranges the remaining 6 and when full pulls quayside and both parts of the train are coupled and off she goes. 
The scope for detailing is great and it’s  a pretty easy track plan. I have my BR130 at the head of this train, it could be an A3. In time maybe a 37 😁. Hopefully it inspires some ideas with others. Meanwhile some tanker trivia. ESSO (Eastern Section Standard Oil) cornered the market in oil transport in late 1800’s by buying up all the available German ex ‘Brewing Barrels’ (35 Imp Gal/55 US Gal) hence standard measurement of oil became a ‘barrel) these wooden barrels continued in used for decades by which time ESSO was the dominant mover of oil and petroleum products all over US and Europe. 

• Like 2

It’s a clever idea, just goes to show what you come up with once you start. As I am currently thinking of just doing a module or shelf so this is very interesting. I was thinking a goods yard for a small branch line might work once we have the loco for it. Maybe include a station and trains can move in and out but there just wouldn’t be a loop. I’m starting think I’ll never truly start but I’m trying to gather ideas still and hopefully something will stick!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I have been adding finished wall sections this evening, I’m really pleased with the results. I promise it’s as easy as it looks. 😁

They look fab.... The ART department now requires cork !!!!

A few shots of the latest scenic area at High Fell. In the shadow of Twizell Valley viaduct sits Glebe Farm at the end of the lane. Paradise Cottage sits on the bend and the lane winds it way up past St Anne’s Church. All neatly marked out by traditional dales’ stone walls. large.IMG_4906.jpeg.82acecad19ea0b5b39505c1b6ec67d2d.jpeglarge.IMG_4907.jpeg.3de240defe17e23eacbd56cbc6856bd7.jpeg

• Like 9

More detailing to do, but basics are in. What Inam loving with doing scenery is developing the scene. Buildings were all done off the layout on boards to make access easier. The washing like lane is out with bedding on at Paradise Cottage, garden is productive. Glebe Farm has a nice crop of potatoes in back garden, gooseberry bushes heavy with fruit and a naughty spaniel in the bins!! 

• Like 1

Yes, the farm, cottage and church are all Metcalfe N, the farm vehicles at the farm are DPDR N and figures are N too to help the l forced perspective although the Metcalfe N range is awfully close to TT:120 in reality. I made the stone walls a couple of mm lower too in the farm area. Metcalfe card kits are a joy to make, so well engineered. Extra detailing really suits them and quite a lot of fun 😁

Posted (edited)

The ‘on test’ BR 130 ‘Ludmilla’ seems to have become a permanent fixture in High Fell and area, maybe the Eastern Bloc have forgotten about it! The crew like it as a freight loco but not so much they clean it too often. It’s usually on heavy oil trains up and down from Tyne Dock, as one load is dropped off, another is ready to take away.,it’s been re-engined with the same power unit as the forthcoming BR Class 5 (50) locos 😁large.06E92389-70FF-4CF6-A5B4-92B8C557CAEA.jpeg.8fec5246c7ed693d03a335ad02d9fc09.jpeg

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 4

I agree about using a smaller gauge that can sometimes put things into perspective. I used a Lyddle End cottage (N gauge) at the back of my layout. It gives the impression of being far away/in the distance.

IMG_1471.jpg

• Like 3

The Lyddle End models were superb. For OO now you have TT:120 for the middle distance and Lyddle End for way of over yonder!
The hobby never ceases to give creative opportunities. I’m completely un-artistic; engineering drawings no problem, ask me to draw a bowl of fruit and you will get a very poor result. But somehow in modelling I can get my head round it. 

I really like the textures you have in that scene @Bulleidboy 

• Like 1

@Rallymatt  - The hill is made from sheets of B&Q insulating sheets covered in plaster bandage - everything else is Woodland Scenics. Rock face created using WS rubber molds and then applying heavily diluted washes - I watched the WS tutorial on the subject many times before the wash and brushes came out. I also placed 1.5" nails head first into the plaster before it set, this enable the rockface to be "plugged" into the hill - and could easily be moved about until happy with final position.