High Fell, BR (NER) in TT 120

Rallymatt

Today added another essential feature of all British railways. Fencing. Separating people from railways has been a long and important feature but it’s not all about safety but buried deep in laws from centuries ago, The Enclosure Act became pivotal for land owners to retain control of their land. It’s one of the subtle differences between British and Continental railways. In most cases wooden fences and now steel rather than the often modelled stone walls would be seen up and down the country. These are are from the excellent WHWW TT120 rangeforum_image_63fd066646ab2.thumb.png.d23586a864cf5f2e1b9710a157c3b58e.pngforum_image_63fd066c56f40.thumb.png.ef39647d471f0b9db989b17f94734e9a.pngforum_image_63fd0670f1ab7.thumb.png.346b7288d1064623c820dfe555f11357.png

I am keen to see other people’s creativity taking shape. Great thing with TT:120 is the size does lend itself to getting scenery in and the limited stock means time to get it done 🤣

I have been working on the area below Telegraph Hill, the first pour of the realistic water for the ‘tarn’ has eventually dried and thankfully the heady odour has gone. My next project is to go foraging for the small stones to make the ‘burn’ and around the tarn. I’m certainly not paying £10 for a bag of stones from a model shop! 🤣

I have been working on the area below Telegraph Hill, the first pour of the realistic water for the ‘tarn’ has eventually dried and thankfully the heady odour has gone. My next project is to go foraging for the small stones to make the ‘burn’ and around the tarn. I’m certainly not paying £10 for a bag of stones from a model shop! 🤣

Cool, was that Woodland Scenics EZ water you are going to use ?

That stuff look fantastic, I did want some water on my layout but if I do it'll have to be a pond as there won't be a lot of room for much else smiley

It’s pretty good value too Rob when there is quite a run to do. I haven’t seen anyone do a TT120 stone wall, not that impressed with the Javis foam stuff.

TT yes it’s Woodland Scenics, but they’re Realistic Water not the EZ one. Quite fumey so I’d recommend doing it when you can windows open or very good ventilation. Simple to use, I have a pond up in Cragg Edge, and then the bigger Tarn below Telegraph Hill. The burn is yet to be poured, down hill water could be a challenge! At least the section is removable so I can prop it while it’s sets. It does ‘creep’ into any surrounding grass etc.

• 2 weeks later...

At last name boards are done thanks to a great 3D printer chap Andy offering a super fast service on eBay. These are single sided but fancy some double sided ones for platform 3/4 (Technically High Fell doesn’t have a platform 1, it was removed to make way for the through line)

The colour might seem odd until you discover that the North East Region was allocated ‘Tangerine’ as its colour. There are a few good internet resources to work out what colour ways were used in different BR regions 50’s/60’s but it wasn’t that consistently applied, buildingsforum_image_641067f2a9242.thumb.png.eea21ba15a5728aa556808dc6f9e7f88.png often left.

Painted using acrylic and a paint pen.

• 3 weeks later...

It has taken me a while, But I just watched your England 1 Germany 2 video, great work slightly_smiling_face

I love how you have the signals working with the points, and the sounds really add to the immersion.

I see there are a few more to watch now, so I am off to go down a High Fell and You Tube wormhole nerd_face

This is outstanding, both an inspiration and an education. It certainly helps hold the interest while we wait for stuff to arrive. May I ask these questions?

1. How did you cut and finish the Peco track?
  2. How was this joined to the Hornby track elements?
  3. Is the Metcalfe viaduct single or double width?

Thanks again.

I can help with the first two from my layout

1 - bought a track cutter from amazon - nice and easy just clip it where you want and gives a nice clean cut

2- remove/cut off a couple of sleepers. Hornby fishplates connect the peco track to hornby track very well (tight fit but holds the connection very well). I tried the peco ones but they were too small for the hornby track

Thanks for the kind comments TGG,

Track Cutters are essential but worth getting best quality for the best results, Xuron and DCC concepts are known and very good, have a few practice cuts, note there is a straight edge cut side that’s the one you want on the retained pieces the other piece may need some tidying up to get a square end on it. With the Peco track you will need to trim some sleeper edges on points to get them to sit together, it becomes obvious when you place track down. I would recommend placing the additional sleepers when you glue track down, not after, it’s a whole lot easier!

I haven’t used any Hornby track in the layout, fully Peco points and flexi, the Sets and track were not released when I laid the bulk of the track. So I haven’t had to join the two, but plenty say it’s absolutely fine, the Peco joiners are very small, you could open them or as UKP says, use Hornby ones.

The Metcalfe viaduct is N gauge as a single track version of the kit, with 2 complete ones end to end. It’s actually more like the clearances on the old viaducts in this area. Only thing to check is any approach curves and your longest coach/loco to make sure it doesn’t catch the end walls.

Just ask for any other info, I don’t believe in secrets in the hobby 😁

• 2 weeks later...

I always had a plan for Telegraph Hill. Hills being used for sending messages long distances is long established in British history, and as we are in the second part of the 1960’s something very modern has appeared. Microwave transmitters…. They say they are for TV and radio but the Cold War is in full swing…..

The tower started as Auhagen pylon kit, modified and the microwave horns are made from balsa. The left over bits have made a good selection of unusual loads that have appeared in the Goods Yardforum_image_64398383d15a7.png.2c685b720ccb963c0e0ec72aef11f03d.pngforum_image_64398385cc4b3.png.62c7729d8f8374b68521d729e3cff66f.pngforum_image_6439838742661.png.a8e32232cce6ea3db9447658750b687c.png

• 3 weeks later...

As nice as Noch stuff is I really couldn’t justify £20 for 6 sheep…that’s nearly what a real sheep costs each! Sound some N gauge ones found from China and because it’s N gauge they are oversize which is perfect for TT:120 😁 £6.17 for 100 too. The flock is now grazing across Telegraph Hill. In case you are wondering they are Swaledales, lovely sheep, characterised by their black faces and gentle nature. The Ransoms Rapier 6 ton mobile crane has been appropriately painted and weathered, it’s come up well 😁forum_image_644febfd8f8c6.png.307aaee829cbda6527fed582bf3b3590.pngforum_image_644fec00a3ca6.png.4f009c6b7e856ebe3a9803f883fa931c.pngforum_image_644fec0338205.png.8408443c86b59cb195fca9b914dd8634.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Nothing lasts forever as they say… some changes coming at High Fell……..It’s quite literally the end of the line or least one end of it! I think to make the other end will require making holes in walls and not sure how that would go down🤣