High Fell, BR (NER) in TT 120

Rallymatt

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Steve, the quayside wall is embossed paper from local model shop. I used weathering powders to add the streaks and rust stains. So where the drains are on the topside or the joins in the timbers I used a mix of shades to highlight where dirty water would run down. The coping on the wall along platform is just from the Metcalfe platform kit, in front of the chemical works is left over card from various Metcalfe kits. I always save the spare parts and have used these to make all sorts of extra details, like the platform inside the goods shed etc. I made wider coping for the retaining wall through Cragg Edge Cutting from craft card from the Works, £1 a pack! Glue about 4 strips together, the measure and accurately cut so they are uniform and the measure and light cut to create the joints between the slabs. I also run edge of a jewellery file through the cut to open it up slightly. Weathering really brings out the texture. Powders work better than paint as it’s dry and doesn’t make card go soggy!

Ha ha, wrong glasses 😁, I use Humbrol ones, my go to colours are Dark Earth, Smoke, and Bright Rust. I use the big pots as they are great value and you can afford to mix different shades to get what you want. The Humbol powders are quite dry so easy to wrk with on lots of surfaces, some can be a bit waxy and can clog. Depends what you like. I just use regular paintbrushes for application, cotton bud to wipe and small piece of spring to dab. I think powders are great on scenic areas, track, buildings, roads/tracks. Wet paints are harder to control I find and can be too uniform. Worth playing about with some bits and pieces first so you understand how they look and work. You can remove powder but not always fully so bear that in mind before weathering a prized item! Ohhh and weathering an item does Void warranty… hence non on locos…. Yet 😁

Thanks TT 😁 really pleased how the docks are coming on, the cranes have captured the feel I was after, still loads to do. There is still another ‘big’ addition to come 😁 I decided not to include it in the diorama challenge and still some planning to pull it all together. A model railway is never finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a play at making a rough interior for the station building at High Fell. Stationmasters office and ticket office with desk and pigeon holes, Ladies waiting room. Benches and even a map of the North Easter Region on the wall of main waiting area and in preparation for winter some fire places.

Opened the door way up, High Fell is a welcoming place 😁forum_image_652d66ecd66ca.thumb.png.a05768ead2d35f599e83636028fa14cd.pngforum_image_652d66f43c7f4.thumb.png.3eff88c30a23d92ec40547592d783480.pngforum_image_652d6700163e9.thumb.png.2033eaf03bee20b0c4fceefa6efba6c2.png

Thanks 😁

Opening the door up was quite easy, I used a razor saw to cut down the edges, a wood bit to drill the top and some small files to tidy up. The resin buildings are quite thick cast so stronger than you might imagine but always take care of the delicate details like chimneys etc and never be tempted to break the sawn part off! Wear a dust mask as the resin dust isn’t great.

On the ship, I can’t take credit for its build. That was my late Dad. He built Globe Trader about 25 years ago, it was entirely by hand, hull is beaten out oil cans! The actual ship was built by Austin & Pickersgill of Sunderland just before they closed, my step mum worked in the drawing office and was involved in this vessel. My dad used original drawings to create the model, it was a fully functional and he sailed it a few times. It’s incredible that it’s not far off TT:120 scale! The family connection continues, my Great Great Grandfather was Captain of Liverpool Docks (1800’s) Globe Trader initially sailed out of Liverpool and of course The Ports Express via High Fell, runs services between Tyne and Liverpool Docks.

I almost included Globe Trader for my Diorama Challenge entry but as it wasn’t my work, I decided against it, but it is in my Model Shot of The Year entry 😁

Globe Trader has survived, it’s been renamed several times and a number of owners and is currently under 🇰🇵 North Korea