Airbrush and compressor

Hi, this is my first post on the forums.

I am wanting some advice as part of research before I make a decision and I thought what better place than to get it from those who use them.

I am looking into starting to airbrush my models rather than hand brushing.

I have been on websites such as amazon and ebay, but I get extremely mixed results from the reviews that are left.

Ultimately, I am wanting to get an airbrush and compressor that don't cost an arm an a leg (what with the cost of living crisis and all) but one that still does the job to a decent standard.

When I have asked on facebook/twitter etc I usually get varied responses that don't really help with my research.

Could anyone recommend me specific airbrushes/compressors/full kits and provide links (if allowed) to said items. Also would you be able to give me specific reasons as to why you would recommend using them, what you like about them and anything that you don't like about using them.

Thanks in advance

I've been recommending the AS186 compressor for some time and have no reason to change my mind, it's a compressor with reservoir with an auto cut-off switch that is optimum. If you do an ebay search for AS186 you should still find deals about £100 -£120 for the compressor and an airbrush or airbrushes. Look for one that contains a top cup, gravity feed airbrush, these are optimum for scale modelling. You could opt for a compressor on its own and entry level airbrushes are ten a penny. A well known modeller I'm acquainted with who is an expert at airbrushing tried a Fengda airbrush and gave it a pretty good rating, watch the review at:

I'm new to the world of airbrushing myself. Like you I trawled through lots of research before buying. I've settled for a Timbertech ABPTS05 setup. Purchased from Amazon for £75. The kit incudes the compressor, airbrush, a selection of different size needles etc. I've yet to actually point it at a model, as I've been practicing on odd items, trying out differing pressures and distance from subject etc.

With the purchase of paints, thinners, mixing pots and cleaning fluid, it's not a cheap thing to start up, but hopefully it'll be worthwhile in the future. Good luck in your endeavours.