E-Link won't program non-Hornby decoders

Using RailMaster 1.74 and a New Hornby E-Link controller I am unable to program long or short DCC addresses into locomotives fitted with non-Hornby DCC decoders.

Using RailMaster to program the locomotive DCC decoders on the programming track, RailMaster reports back that the correct information has been written and confirmed, but when the locomotive is returned to the main track it fails to respond to its programmed address. I have verified that the DCC decoders have the addresses I set on the programming track afterwards and also confirmed that the E-Link only modifies CV 17 , 18 and 29 (for long address). 

I have found this problem with a Dapol Imperium (21-pin) decoder and a little 8-pin Gaugemaster DCC92 decoder. 

However, I have used the E-link to successfully code long addresses into two different Hornby locomotives with the R8249 DCC decoder. 

What am I missing here .........I am able (repeatedly) to reprogram the non-Hornby decoders back to address 003 and the chips work on the main track. I am also able to reset them repeatedly (using CV 8) to address 003. 

It seems to me that for some obscure reason the E-Link in conjunction with RailMaster 1.74 will not reprogram non-Hornby DCC decoders properly, or at least not communicate with those decoders after a new address has been set. 

One other issue I have with the E-Link is the response time when it is commanded by RailMaster, it takes about 1 second to implement changes in speed or function, which renders it practically useless for proper fine control of locomotives.

This is a Railmaster question and should have been posted in the Railmaster forum. EDIT: It appears that a mod has moved it.

There are two issues you are reporting. One relates to communication between RM and the eLink. The other relates to control of non Hornby decoders.

I suggest that you navigate to the top of the Railmaster forum and open the 'Railmaster FAQ Index' sticky.

For your communication issue follow EVERYTHING in FAQ1 (this may help, but it may not make any difference, but worth trying).

For the loco issue, follow the guidance in FAQ2. Including deleting your loco from the RM roster and adding it again using the documented FAQ2 process. In FAQ2 pay particular attention to the guidance to NOT click the 'Green tick' in the CV reading writing screen. It is using this 'Green tick' that causes issues with some non Hornby decoders. In fact, I would recommend that after writing 8 to CV8 to reset the decoder (which you say that you have done previously with success) that you close the CV reading / writing screen and leave it alone. Then to write a new DCC Address you use instead the 'Steam Loco' icon in the bottom row of the locomotive configuration screen.

This 'Steam Loco' icon can write both short and long addresses. If you have tried using the CV Reading/Writing screen to manually write CV 17, 18 and 29 values for a long address, then this is probably why the loco is not responding.