Hornby R40227 Coronation Observation Car

mjb1961

did you watch the program yesterday? The designer mentioned the coupling,

my guess on the back coupling is the black bit is fitted to the coupling NEM pocket and will probably pull off so a coupling will fit.

We didn’t hear his solution so no one knows for sure but that’s how I would have designed it. You could send a email to ask Hornby might give you the answer.

the Main couplings where shown the ones between the coach sets which was interesting if can watch the episode it might answer your question

Hi Fazy,,,thankyou for your reply, I have not seen the hornby programs as of yet but your answer is probably correct, it just got me thinking that you would have to buy the coaches to go with it, anyway hopefully your right and they can be swapped out for standard ones,,Martin

So, if you wished to prototypically remarshall the observation car from one end of the rake to the other for the train's return journey, you can't - no coupling on its outer end to take it to and from the turntable and no tension lock at the inner end or on the adjacent brake 3rd?

• 2 months later...

I encountered this image of the Coronation Coaches while on another search. I remembered this thread and thought to update for those who are interested.

The coaches were in the Hornby booth at Warley, said the person who posted the image.

They appear to be an engineering prototype of some sort. There is plenty of detail, just zoom in!

Bee

forum_image_64290349b556d.thumb.png.fe1aafa6ce275002d5c22d91056a4737.png

Hi DRC

I knew this would catch your eye, just as it caught mine. I saw that observation coach and was immediately captivated.

The photograph was taken in late November, so we are 4 months on from the image.

One of the fundamental lessons I am learning is that making an accurate model takes an eternity! I work on Planet nearly every day, for hours at a time. The progress seems glacially slow. Its all in the details, that is what makes the model pop. Details take time.

I will never complain about how long Hornby takes, ever again! They are still orders of magnitude more swift than I.

Bee

Hi Bee

I really like the look of these coaches, so they’ll arrive when they arrive, I’m not too fussed, I’ve got plenty to be getting on with until they get here.

I don’t think I’ve ever known a Hornby product to not have its released date moved forward, so even though I expected these to get pushed forward, I didn’t think it would be by a year.

• 6 months later...
So, if you wished to prototypically remarshall the observation car from one end of the rake to the other for the train's return journey, you can't - no coupling on its outer end to take it to and from the turntable and no tension lock at the inner end or on the adjacent brake 3rd?

I am not 100% positive but taking the observation car to a turntable would NOT be prototypical. I'm certain I read somewhere that during the summer service (the only time the coach was used), the rake was turned using a triangle. wink

Within the "pairs" there is likely to be a special coupling due to the articulation. However, on the outer ends, almost certainly replaceable tension locks. Otherwise, you would have to buy the full set and not many can run 9 coach rakes.

• 5 months later...