Concorde

Sailorman

Started my Airfix 1:144 Concorde. Early stages as yet. Removed the surface detail and scribed new panel lines. Filling and sanding come next. Wings are not glued to the fuselage yet. Three schemes to choose from ....... not sure which one to go for yet.

Makes a pleasant change from my usual scratchbuilt ships. Model seems to be going together very well. Nice thing about 1:144 is that there is no real need to bother with the cockpit interior!

forum_image_63f66efadb4c0.thumb.png.c55a25b5589caddefabdc1ecfcc12087.png

forum_image_63f66f04d7207.thumb.png.1fd896caaee8198c7c6bce1a81642a83.png

Also started the Airfix Boeing 737 and for my sins I also started a 1:144 vacform Airspeed Ambassador. This is an extremely basic kit but I've always wanted to build a model of this plane because my father flew on the first time he travelled to the UK sometime around 1955. I'll finish it in the BEA livery of that period.

These three when finished will bring my commercial aircraft fleet up to 15!

• 3 weeks later...

I won a painting competition in 1976 (Cadburys mini rolls) and won this model It wasn't first prize (that was a flight on Concorde) but I was so excited for the kit I didn't care!

I remember the absolute tragedy of making it. The white gloss paint looked awful and the decal stripe down the side a disaster. I ended up putting the whole lot in the bin. I wish I had your skills when I was 9. Actually I wish I could have your skills now :-)

Well .......I'm 68 and still struggling to get a good finish! I suppose that is partly my fault. I've never been into clubs so I funble along and learn by trial and error. There was no internet in my early ( and middle years) do nowhere to get advice. I'm sure that nowadays it is possbile to gain skills very rapidly if one discusses any issues he (or she) may have with other model makers.

White was always an issue.

Humbrol 22 used to turn yellow after a year or two. It was difficult to apply and didn't "cover" very well. When I was younger I used a brush and tried everything to apply white paint with including warming the tinlet in an attempt to make the paint go on smoother. I tried rattle cans - but the paint went on too thick. I tried Matt white - which was easier to apply but was a nightmare when it came to applying decals.

Airbrushes have helped immeasurably and the new formulations of paint don't yellow.

Modellers have never had it so good!

• 1 month later...

Sheer elegance!

Airfix have captured the concave shape of the wings beautifully. It's intresting to see it next to other aircraft. It's fuselage is of such a narrow diameter. The plane seems to be all wing. Only the Comet seems to have such a slender fuselage.

I need to buy the original 1960's release to compare the two ......