Airfix Support of the Forum

I was looking for some reference material from earlier posts on the Forum, only to find that while the topic existed, there were no supporting photos. Bearing in mind that ….…. we are still working hard to ensure assets from the previous forum are not lost. We will keep you updated as things progress…. This from the header when logging into the Forum.

I wondered if AIrfix personnel regularly look at and work with this Forum.

I often get the feeling that we are all lone voices in the wilderness.

I posted this as a General Discussion in an attempt to get more ‘hits’.

I’m afraid we are well down the pecking order in the Hornby portfolio of companies. Let us be thankful we are still going. But you can see from the new products that Hornby, Corgi and Scalextric bring out every year we are the “poor” relations.

it’s been a while since I read anything on the forum from an Airfix representative so I would have to say we are been ignored; or they are frightened of the resulting backlash which would likely ensue.

Sorry Dominic.

I hope you get more replies and hopefully with more positives.

Shaughan

Shaughan,

Thanks for your comments.

I’ve always got value from the comments of people participating in this Forum who are more knowledgeable. I’ve also benefited from the hints and tips of better modellers as well as inspiration from everyone posting their builds and pictures.

For that to be of the best value, historical posts need to be accessible. I just don’t know if Airfix see it that at. That’s why I started this thread.

I think there are a limited number of us who look back at old posts. Most folks who have not used the site before start a new thread asking the same questions that have been answered many times before, because they don't search first. If they did, maybe the major part of their question would be solved and they might ask another question for clarification, or to refine their methods or understanding. It's a difficult thing to judge because, if someone has benefited from the posts they may not leave a reply - and we only know by responses to the threads.

People using search to look for an answer before asking a question? Heaven's above! You might as well be King Canute ordering the tide to turn. One of the things I've learned from forums is that people almost invariably ask before searching.

As for Airfix staff involvement on the forum, they know they're on a hiding to nothing. If they get into any sort of spat or disagreement with a member it's a lose/lose situation. We know that from the original Airfix forum when there were staff involved on the forum. They were completely shocked by the hostility expressed in some of the posts that were put up. The loss of image data is regrettable, but to be honest during the switchover when it went from days to weeks before anything happened I thought they were simply going to pull the plug. This is the forum that you've got and as they say, it is what it is.

Thanks for the participation guys. Some good comments I think.

I do like the site because it’s easy to join, easy to use, and (once I worked out the picture limitations) easy to show my creations.

I was prompted to start the thread as a result of watching an old Sprue Talk episode. A comment was made suggesting notice was taken of comments on the regular Workbench series but no mention of the Forum. I think there’s a lot of value in most of the comments on here and a little recognition would not be out of place.