Genuinely Matt Varnish?

I'm in the midst of painting lots of little Airfix 1/76 WW1 British and German infantry to go with my now completed Airfix 1/76 Male and Female Mk 1 tanks for a trench diorama, but I've hit a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions for a genuinely matt finish Matt Acrylic varnish that can be brush applied to the figures? I know that Vallejo Matt Acrylic Varnish in aerosol cans dries to a genuine matt finish, but it's not a controllable enough jet for very detailed or specific work. I've tried decanting some and brushing it, but it doesn't like that very much either! I've tried Army Painter Anti-Shine Matt varnish - dries with a definite sheen; I've tried Revell 36102 Clear Matt - dries to a more-or-less satin finish; I've tried Vallejo Matt Acrylic in bottles - dries to a satin finish. I don't want to risk using a lacquer or oil based varnish in case it damages the very fine detail that I want to render to a totally matt finish, so it needs to be water-based acrylic. So any suggestions would be welcomed!

I read in the forum once about someone using Winsor and Newton’s Galeria Matt varnish. Purchased a good sized bottle quite cheaply from Amazon. Have had quite good results. Used it on my Airfix guards band if you look it up in the figures forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just used the Winsor and Newton’s Galeria Matt varnish for the first time and it seems really good when applied by brush. I'm glad I saw it mentioned on the forum. I find other matt varnishes either dry satin or soon become a bit treacly when brushed. Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose when you think of art, painting (including modelling) the one name that keeps coming up is Windsor and Newton. It would make sense that if they produce a varnish it would do exactly what it says on the tin (sorry not you Ronseal). Anyway glad I could help.

While I have taken the advice from here and purchased a jar of W&N, I haven’t used it yet.

Because I became fed up with the increasing number of Matt varnishes that have a satin finish, I looked for all sorts of options.

The one that really worked for me was Vallejo Mecha Matt Varnish. It’s acrylic and brushes easily.

Hope this helps.