MTK parts forlorn hope

Thanks Bee, it’s some particular unit ends I want. The MTK stall at exhibitions used to have packets of them for sale as well as detailing packs, probably 25 to 30 years ago now. I know someone bought the business but I’ve not seen anything about them for years. Maybe the much better and easier to build DC Kits saw them off?

Thanks all. It was Phoenix paints that took them over but they don’t have the particular ones i was after.

I have finally got round to starting a 3 car set of the Manchester South Junction and Altrincham railway LMS designed OH electric stock by converting OO Grafar coaches.

I have one of the MTK Liverpool/Southport electric parcels units M28497M, the prototype of which was converted from 1920s LMS Liverpool/Ormskirk/Southport stock (the same design as some of the LMS 3rd rail units used around Watford) and the unit ends of all are very similar.

I am finding the Grafar plastic quite difficult to work with, it seems to have a very low melting point and attempts to cut it with a disk or drill it result in my tools being bunged up with melted plastic. I thought if these particular unit ends were still available it’d save me some grief. Looks like I will have to persevere! Looking at the MTK ends on my Southport unit it’s probably a good job. They were never the best castings! I have a few other MTK kits that never got finished, maybe one day….

Again, thanks for the info.

Actually, looking at it a Grafar conversion to produce the Southport unit might look more like the prototype than the MTK one.