refitting connecting rods on thomas

After hibernating in our shed with leaking roof for over 20 years we are renovating the old train set, I had the connecting rods off of my Thomas, seems a simple arrangement but all seized solid now. The motor works fine when I remove the rods but refitting in various configurations it still will not move. I have seen the term "quartering" used for setting up but no idea what it means. Thanks if you can advise.

Welcome to the forum.

Quartering is a term used to state that, with the cranks (the point where the coupling rods are attached) on all wheels on one side of the chassis in line at, say, the 12 o'clock position, the cranks on all the wheels on the other side of the chassis need to be at either the 3 o'clock or the 9 o'clock position (i.e. offset by one quarter of a turn).

As for the coupling rods, with the fluting facing outwards and the small representation of oil boxes facing upwards, both front rods need to be the ones that are cranked outwards at the centre wheels so that they are secured outside the plain rods joining the centre and rear wheels.

Thanks Fella! I spent a fair time on this today, wish I had seen your post earliergrinning During this time I lost to my garage 1 of the 2 springs behind the end axle. I really need to know why when you drop something, it turns up in the most unlikely place-no doubt I shall find it after a few days when I drop something else!. Notice the 3 wheels on the pick up side have insulating washer to the axle...seems it is a well `thought out piece of kit even if made in China. I am wondering if I am putting the right rods in place, there is a shortun (cranked )and a longun...just looked again at your post and looks like you have covered this. You have given an excellent response, need to have another go tomorrow, and try to find a little spring somewhere This all has lain in a garden shed with holes in the roof for the best part of 20 years. It was laid out on a pre-printed Track plan D I thing, that and its table never made it! Be good to give to my youngest Son Robert, now 25 miles away and age 29 will no doubt have some fun with what's survived.

All appreciated my mate!

Andy.