A1370 M3 Grant

Topcat_Ern

A half decent kit, a mixture of enjoyment and frustration at times, usually with the instructions not being precise in locating various parts. Dry fitting an absolute must in places even though that requires three hands at times. With so much interior features to construct one feels obliged to leave a hatch or two open so that some of it can be seen. Although the top hatch above the main gun cannot be posed open as the rotating turret fouls it.

Decided upon the Brit desert version as I'm fed up with green! So I used Vallejo 71.153 Light Stone and 71.012 Dark Green airbrushed to a pattern and intensity that pleased me rather than follow paint guide to the letter.

The standard of moulding is good for these Academy kits but the instructions are not what modern Airfix kits provide and so leave a bit of head scratching and fettling to do in some places. A few fit issues here and there too.

Andy

forum_image_6498695fb9c16.thumb.png.04f8eb3098aa4b469a5bf5c6f9f02633.png

forum_image_64986963e9d99.png.544544daa1a9e27887a785519a757853.png

A very good youtube channel for all details of the Lee/Grant is the 'Australian Armour and Artillery Museum', 'Workshop Wednesdays' series. Over the last 6 months they have been restoring a rare welded seam Grant from a rusting farm hulk to a runner. No good for engine detail, as they have replaced the original engine with something a little more modern, as no original available, but the interior restorage has been very detailed.

Over the last month they had 3 interesting videos where 3 other Grants were rescued from a farm collection, after the farmer/collector died, and his son wanted rid. These 3 were in various stages of being dismantled, but all the internal fittings had been saved. They were so abandoned that trees were growing through the engine bays.

Other restorations have included a Tiger I and JagdPanther (both none runners), an ongoing Stug III G to running status, and an ex-war prize WWI German light artillery piece.