A1373 Cromwell Mk.IV

Topcat_Ern

Another enjoyable build with no hiccups apart from Step 18 where poly caps are used to allow the main gun to elevate. In reality I found that the grip on the pivots was too tight and tore the mountings D49 and D50 from the mantlet D53 so a bit of tweaking needed. I have heard some folks having issues with the rear deck mating correctly but I didn't experience that. In fact no filler was needed on the entire build. The rubber tracks hit the bin as the link and length tracks are so much better.

Airfix stated Humbrol 159 but the Humbrol Paint Conversion Chart said the Mr Hobby H80 as comparable, that's good as I had the latter not the former.

Pre-shaded, pin wash, filter and weathering powders for the finishes (went for the mucky look).

Andy

forum_image_64b1a4c497d82.png.e1cd2d3d16b3282a370df68a31ff3488.png

forum_image_64b1a4c6cbcc2.thumb.png.435a0b1171ba72a1904f75956cc64da2.png

Another good result there Andy. You obviously have some experience in building 1/35 kits, how do you think these recent Airfix offerings compare to other manufacturers?

I think these are much more enjoyable builds than some of the other manufacturer's offerings and I've tried many. There are sometimes issues with the instructions where parts are numbered incorrectly or are missing altogether from the instructions but nothing a bit of imagination can't resolve. This kit, for example doesn't have any interior so no point in posing with open hatches to reveal a void but others do. Now, I only go for the rebadged Airfix 1/35th or IBG 1/35th (which are more complex in engine details, interiors etc). Thankfully I haven't started the German vehicles yet so have more fun to come. I left those as the paint finishes are more intricate to achieve with the airbrush.

The only drawback to these 1/35th scale vehicles is my enthusiasm for the 1/72, 1/76th scale vehicles as they are tiny in comparison! And I usually knock a few of those out whilst waiting for the finishes to cure or dry on a 1/35th and there's paint left in the airbrush.

Andy

I'm glad the Airfix 1/35 kits are not a disappointment, I have several in my stash but haven't tried them yet. I was a bit concerned that they may be a flash in the pan that soon fade from the catalogue. I hope the company has every success in its efforts so it can afford plenty new tools to keep the wishlist contributors happy.

• 1 month later...