Flying Hours

Stephen-361949

Hi All,

First time poster here but been building off and on since i was around 8 i guess, now 56.

My question is if anyone can help is about the flying hours, i finally decided to send off for a free kit in exchange for my flying hours tokens. I received a call from Airfix today saying that the model i chose is not part of the offer. For 30 tokens i can chose a series 3 or 4 kit, i was told that the model has to have serial number A03 or A04 at the start of the prefix to be valid. So no series 3 or 4 1/35 models etc. Checking the website i can see nothing which restricts what you can have. Indeed there is a flying hours pull down menu that shows what you can have, or what i believe i could have. Does any one have a similar experience or have a got a misinformed employee? Thanks in advance.

Steve

• 5 months later...

The Airfix Flying Hours scheme was revised with a new passport being issued in the 2012 Club Pack. There were changes to the number of token required, and the kits which can be chosen, the postage cost was also increased.

Existing Flying Hour passports from the Hornby/Airfix Club are still valid and will be honoured according to the conditions printed on them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Airfix Club Flying Hours

Claim Free Airfix Kits with your Flying Hours Passport

The Airfix Flying Hours Tokens scheme is an exclusive offer to Airfix Club members.

You will receive your Flying Hours Passport with your Club pack. To claim your FREE kit, simply collect Flying Hours tokens from Airfix packaging. Once you have collected the correct number of tokens, post the passport to us, and your chosen kit and new passport will be sent to you. P&P charges apply*.

The passport can only be used with valid Airfix Club membership and the details must be filled out correctly on the reverse of the passport.

Flying Hours can be found on Airfix kits and the number of Flying Hours depends on the series of kit. Kit series numbers can be defined by the first two digits of the item code for example A02005 is a series 2 and A12002 is a series 12). You will need 16 Flying Hours for a series 1 or 2 kit, 30 hours for a series 3 or 4, 40 hours for a series 5 or 6 and 60 hours for a series 7, 8 or 9.

Flying Hours Passport. The offer does not include Gift sets containing paints. We recommend that you list at least three alternative kits. This offer is subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute alternatives if necessary. No flying hours tokens will be returned.

Please note that if your first kit chosen is out of stock they will select your second choice.

Please enclose a cheque or postal order for £5.95 per passport to cover P&P made payable to Hornby Hobbies Ltd. Please allow 28 days for delivery.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q - Can I use old Flying Hour Tokens?

A - Yes you can use all types of Airfix Flying Hour Tokens.

Q - Do I have to be a member of the Airfix Club?

A - Yes, you have to be a current member of the Airfix Club.

Q - After my first Flying Hours Passport do I get another?

A - You will receive a new Flying Hours Passport every time you receive your free kit.

Q - How long does it take to process my Flying Hours Passport?

A - It may take up to 28 days to receive your requested kit.

Hi Steve,

Firstly, Happy New Year.

Now a bit of detail about what I think you're asking. So, it doesn't specifically say which kits you can have for your passport and which you can't. However, the kits that are available are series 1 to series 9 kits whose serial number starts with A01 to A09. These are aircraft, ships, 1/72-76 military kits and cars. However, not the starter sets, double kit sets or in fact anything that includes paints, brushes or glue, all of which have a different sort of reference number. It also doesn't include any of the 1/35 military kits, again, they all have a reference which doesn't have A01-A09 at the beginning, ( I think the all start A13, no matter what series the are).

I've never had this confirmed, but my theory as to why is this. When Airfix began selling 1/35 kits again a few years ago, the kits that kickstarted their range were licensed kits from the model manufacturer Academy. This gave Airfix an instant medium sized range of pretty good kits without having to invest heavily developing a dozen kits at once in a range they weren't sure would sell, (after all, there are a few 1/35 manufacturers already, and more seemingly by the day). But because they were licensed, essentially bought in, repackaged and with with a few bells and whistles, the cost to Airfix was fixed and not something they could absorb into the Passport scheme for Flying Hours. they'd just lose too much on them, especially since, as a large range of all new, (to Airfix) kits none of the Club members would have the Aifix kits so demand would inevitably be high, and t would basically bankrupt the scheme or mean Club membership would have to rise massively.

Again, that's just a theory but it sounds right. So the top and bottom of it is, no 1/35 kits available for the Club Passports with Flying Hours, as you've been told, just kits that start off A01 to A09. Oh, and I wish it was otherwise too, but there ae always limits on offers like this, that's jus the way it goes. Anyway, hope that helps, and apologies if it was a bit long winded.

Kindest regards,

Steven.

• 2 weeks later...