Planning Large Layout for Live Steam

dmh

Since I have had the live steam Mallard repaired, it has totally transformed it for the better. My negative feelings for live steam have been totally replaced such that I want to build a 40m circuit in the loft to be able to really DRIVE it (around

bends, up and down gradual to gradients, over summits (short sharp uphill immediately followed by sharp downhill) etc.

I have a rough plan and am allowing about 5sec for speed change to cover the controller lag time and then adjusting the regulator to

where it needs to be. This equates.at 30mph 1m @30mph and about 3.5m @ 120mph. In 15-9-12 Muzza talked about being able to control his A3 up and down hill which sounds just like what I want to do.

My question is WHAT IS THE STEEPEST GRADIENT SHOULD I PLAN

INTO THE LIVE STEAM LAYOUT FOR A TAXING UPHILL WITH 5 COACHES AND USED TYRES (WITH A STATIONARY START ON LEVEL FOR 0.5m – A LA BROMSGROVE AND LICKEY) AND WHAT IS SUGGESTED FOR A MEDIUM GRADIENT? Once built there won’t be an opportunity to change the gradient.

I will cant the curves and anticipate they will have to be 1.25m Radius min, and will keep the most severe gradient to a mainly straight region.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

No replies in 25 days.....

mmmmmmmmmmmm.........

I think the whole issue of live Steam and gradients has frightened everybody.

In principle, live steam does not like gradients, just like the real thing but gradients can be fun as a

challenge. The OO Live Steam Club roadshow is mounted on telescopic jacks originally intended to help get the layout level but I now find I use the jacks to introduce gradients to add a bit of fun.

You have correctly identified that the lag in the control

system is the biggest problem but on a big enough layout with time to adjust before and after gradients and with a big enough radius at the curves to reduce the chance of derailing at high speed, it should be ok... providing the gradient is not too steep.

So

to answer your question I would stick to prototype gradients, say 1/200 and 1/100 as a maximum. 1/37 (as in the Lickey incline) is asking for trouble especially with a less efficient engine. Try and experiment before the tracks are 'set in concrete'. Good

luck. Keep us posted.

Adrian

dmh said:

Since I have had the live steam Mallard repaired, it has totally transformed it for the better. My negative feelings for live steam have been totally replaced such that I want to build a 40m circuit

in the loft to be able to really DRIVE it (around bends, up and down gradual to gradients, over summits (short sharp uphill immediately followed by sharp downhill) etc.

I have a rough plan and am allowing about 5sec for speed change to cover the controller

lag time and then adjusting the regulator to where it needs to be. This equates.at 30mph 1m @30mph and about 3.5m @ 120mph. In 15-9-12 Muzza talked about being able to control his A3 up and down hill which sounds just like what I want to do.

My question

is WHAT IS THE STEEPEST GRADIENT SHOULD I PLAN INTO THE LIVE STEAM LAYOUT FOR A TAXING UPHILL WITH 5 COACHES AND USED TYRES (WITH A STATIONARY START ON LEVEL FOR 0.5m – A LA BROMSGROVE AND LICKEY) AND WHAT IS SUGGESTED FOR A MEDIUM GRADIENT? Once built there

won’t be an opportunity to change the gradient.

I will cant the curves and anticipate they will have to be 1.25m Radius min, and will keep the most severe gradient to a mainly straight region.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you

Archived