HMS Shannon, Trincomalee and Surprise.

ian_rutland

I wonder what happened to Airfix's lovely little model of HMS Shannon?

Did you know that she was one of the initial Leda Class Frigates?

Two others in the first batch were HMS Trincomalee and HMS Surprise.

HMS Unicorn was from the modified Leda Class. Unicorn still exists, as does Trincomalee.

Have Airfix missed a trick here? Surely, reboxed kits of HMS Shannon as HMS Trincomalee, could be sold to visitors at the Historic Dockyard at Hartlepool.

Here is a list of the 1st Batch.

Leda Pomone Shannon Leonidas Briton Tenedos Lacedemonian Lively Surprise Cydnus Eurotas Niger Meander Pactolus Tiber Araxes Tanais Diamond Amphitrite Trincomalee Thetis Arethusa Blanche Fisgard

This Surprise didn't have such an adventurous career as the one in the Master and Commander Books.

The second Batch.

Venus Melampus Minerva Latona Diana H*be Nereus Hamadryad Amazon A*olus Thisbe Cerberus Circe Clyde Thames Unicorn Daedalus Proserpine Mermaid Mercury Penelope Thalia

(Two names had to be modified, as they are Banned Words. The E has been removed.)

Maybe we'll see HMS Shannon also released in the original Box Art version. I would certainly buy a few of these.

What about it, Airfix?

I presume you know that the Airfix HMS Shannon mould was made in 1954, that it is of unknown scale and probably not vey accurate. It would make a nice, nostalgic build, but I cannot see there being much demand sweat

I presume you know that the Airfix HMS Shannon mould was made in 1954, that it is of unknown scale and probably not vey accurate. It would make a nice, nostalgic build, but I cannot see there being much demand sweat

Yes. I had one back then. I still have one, but can't remember where I put it. I was just painting it and tucked it away. Now, it's vanished. I take it that they still have the tooling? The Cutty Sark and HMS Victory keep popping up, and they are not really accurate, or in a usual ship scale, so why not HMS Shannon, Trincomalee, Surprise and Unicorn?

In a case like this, it doesn't really matter so much about the scale etc, as long as people can have a little reminder of their visit. For the rest of us Classic British Kit fans, it would be lovely to have one for the collection.