Questions on varnishes

Am new to Airfix modelling, and had a few questions about the most appropriate varnishes for realism, particularly in aircraft of different eras.

I would assume that a matt varnish would achieve the most realistic finish for something like a WWII Spitfire. However, there are parts such as the undercarriage that are painted using metallic paint - what would be the most appropriate varnish to use on metallic paint? I have heard one view that it is best not to use varnish at all on metallic paint, as it "spoils the metallic effect", but metallic paint is used extensively to paint a Mustang for example - surely some kind of varnish would be used to finish the model, rather than just leaving the paint as it is?

Moving forward in time, were more modern aircraft finished with a gloss coating (e.g. to minimise air resistance as compared to matt paint), and would a gloss varnish finish therefore be more appropriate for certain types of aircraft?

The old varnishes used to yellow with age and this tended to spoil models. The newer lacquers don't yellow. You can get them in matt, gloss or semi-gloss (sometimes referred to as satin).

I tend to use both gloss and semi gloss on my ship models.

The gloss is applied to provide a smooth surface for the decals to adhere to. If building aircraft or tanks which require a matt finish it is vital to apply a gloss lacquer over the paint otherwise the decals won't sit properly and you will get silvering. ie: the transparent part of the decal will show up. A really horrible effect. One can apply a matt coat of lacquer once the decal has dried in order to regain the matt finish if that is what is desired.

In my case once the decals have dried I go for semi-gloss for the final finish. This has the effect of blending all the various shines together. Tiny areas where superglue or pva glue may be visible - especially when fitting masts, aerials, railings towards the end of the build - tend to have different "shine" to them. The lacquer evens all the "shines" out so that the reflectivity is the same and they don't stand out like a sore thumb.

As you say, you could use different lacquer for different parts of the model.

My suggestion is that you should base the finish on photos of the particular aircraft type where possible. With experience this builds to an understanding of what is appropriate for a particular era.

Of course there are always exceptions, but generally Matt for WWII. This changed to gloss in the 50’s when jets appeared. In the late 70’s, the finish changed back to matt as an aid to camouflage. This was followed by occasional satin finishes.

And so we turn full circle in making sure you have appropriate references, whether they be pictures or information from respected decal companies and authors.

The best in my opinion was Modeldecal. Those instruction sheets were a mine of information.