Cutting mats

I use a large cutting mat for my modelling. This is my second one. The first one lasted me years before I felt the need to replace it. This one is coming up to two years old.

My maintenance skills are virtually non existent. It therefore has two years of paint splatter, glue, various varnishes and other modellers detritus.

Is it possible to bring the Jackson Pol…k (word censored by Airfix) of cutting mats to life, or should I bite the bullet and buy another one. And if the latter, what’s the best way of keeping it pristine (lol) ie what’s the best products to use?

Mine is years old and pretty badly messed up .... but it still does the job. It is A4 in size and Wifey bought me a new A3 sized one ...... haven't needed to start using that yet.

I do try to avoid gluing or painting things on it on it. I use the backs of old large format calendars for that. They are usually printed on thicker paper and are just the job.

I use the cutting mat principally for .....cutting on! Perhaps that is why it has lasted so long.

Thanks Sailorman. Mine is the next size up (or two) so it’s more of a desktop, and hence used like one. But I will take your advice and try to do anything other than cutting work, on something more disposable. Like you I had my previous mat for years.

Thanks once again,

Shaughan