How do I achieve this effect using only brus

Hi guys,

I really like the camo scheme on the new airfix Blenheim Mk1 1,48 pictured below. I have the exact same model in their old 1,72 kit. I'd really like to do the same paint scheme on mine but have no idea of how to blur the camo lines like they do in the picture below. I have some florey for the pin lines and know how to dry brush and I think a coat of gloss varnish right at the end would help, but as I say, how to do the blurry camo scheme is a mystery to me. I use humbrol acrylics and I only use brushes, no airbrush for the moment.

The first model I made was a Tomahawk and despite reading everything on the internet I messed it up a bit (amazingly the next model has gone very well though building wise, I learn!), so I thought it would be perfect to use the Tomahawk to try out any techniques that people might recommend as it has basically the same colour scheme. Any ideas would be really welcome. I'd really love to learn this blurred-line technique. I've seen loads about it using airbrushes but can't find much about doing it just with brushes. Any help would be massively welcome, cheers everyone,

Richard :)forum_image_652022e02c527.thumb.png.f8bf36e4a39852e4d74481795b706083.png

That is a difficult effect to achieve using a brush. In time you should consider investing in an airbrush.

Some 40 years ago before I had an airbrush I tried to achieve something similar using the dry brushing technique. This was the 1960 Airfix 262. As you can see the result is not perfect.forum_image_65204b63d23fc.png.7d170125e392bcd9e21164c3b932fc63.png

I also tried it on this wildcat. If you decide to give it a go be sure to practice on an old kit you have no intention of keeping.

forum_image_65204b664f453.thumb.png.3f85fdaa20dfff2bb316b8b9337dd7be.png

We had a discussion about camo painting a short time ago. It was determined that the real life painters used masks and did not freehand spray the aircraft. I usually don’t freehand spray my models either , I use a mask of some sort to mask the camo.

I understand that I. Some cases a soft edge is used but your off the hook on many RAF aircraft.

forum_image_652080a356c99.thumb.png.317579e07b55206b9e62ef64332f1831.png

Cheers guys,

I guess I'll buy an airbrush then, there appears no easy way of doing this just with a brush and my own hand. The one on this website is cheap and I like cheap so I will buy and learn on that when I have some money. To be fair, after spending a very long time today painting freehand three coats on the underside of an aircraft, the idea of an airbrush is appealing more and more to me, and yes of course if I got an airbrush I would use masks (I don't see how you could do it otherwise unless trying for a specific effect). I already know how to make blurred edges doing that too so all good.

It's just I'm only a few weeks into the hobby so was taking my time. But airbrushing seems the way to go. Cheers everybody I'd hoped I could get away with not having to learn to use one for awhile, but it seems like it will save lots of time and whilst I like painting detailed parts and interiors, large surfaces are a pain and easy to get marks on when brushing by hand. You've helped me make up my mind, thank you, all the best,

Richard :)

Thanks John,

yes I've seen a few different techniques that people have used now for normal brush, but they do all seem quite time-consuming and also a bit of a faff, there is no general consensus about how best to do it, whereas there is much more information for creating this type of techinique with airbrushes, loads of videos and articles. So I'd like to try that.

I realise that masking and cleaning take up a fair amount of time (well quite a lot to be fair). I think I still might get an Airfix airbrush and power pack though (it's not dear) to experiment with and see if it is for me. I think it will help me get a smoother finish too (although I've only just started so my painting skills should improve, especially with better brushes). Thanks for your input. I think it's best for me to just try everything and see what suits. At the moment painting takes me ages anyway (though I'll get quicker with practice). I guess it's just finding out what suits me best, Thanks for commenting John, very much appreciated, all the best,

Richard :)