The 1:180 Great Western build

Ratch

Ian, the paints advised are the 7 colours listed in the in-box review, further down the page. There are no options, this is one ship at one time. The paints I used are:

Humbrol Acrylic 21 Gloss Black = stand, nameplate

Humbrol Acrylic 12 Metallic Copper = lower hull, funnel bracing

Vallejo Model Air 71057 Black RLM22 RAL9004 FS37038 = upper hull

Vallejo Model Color 70950 169 Black = gallery

Revell Aqua 36302 Black Silk Matt = grating, davits, anchors, anchor hoops, anchor ring

Revell Aqua 36109 Anthracite Matt = funnel interior, rigging screws or turnbuckles

Humbrol Acrylic 33 Matt Black = capstan, ship’s boats

AK Interactive AK5032 Wooden Deck = covering board, rough-tree rail, ship’s boats

Vallejo Model Air 71077 Wood = paddle wheels

Vallejo Panzer Aces 310 Old Wood = decks, anchor stock, boat falls

Vallejo Model Color 70996 172 Gold = beak, gallery

Vallejo Model Color 70846 139 Mahogany Brown = lanterns. pinrails

Humbrol Acrylic 65 Matt Aircraft Blue = glass, cabin house

Vallejo Model Color 70815 17 Basic Skin Tone = figurehead

Humbrol Acrylic 166 Satin Light Aircraft Grey = figurehead’s robe

Humbrol Acrylic 118 Matt US Tan = figurehead’s hair

Vallejo Model Color 70878 173 Old Gold = figurehead’s crown

• 2 weeks later...
Having adjusted the shrouds and rigging on the machine, I have just noticed that the correct settings are in step 12. I don’t know how I missed this because its on the page where the stays and halliards are illustrated. Maybe I was concentrating on that area too closely and missed the box in the top left corner of the sheet.
53253377974_398e3831c3_c.jpg

Look here ^

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for such an informative article which will be very helpful to me when I try to build mine. However, my kit does not seem to have any sales as I remembered my original had way back in the day. Is this intentional with the new release - Although this is probably academic in my case as I don't intend using them.

Also has anyone made one of these float and possibly motorize it?

I am thinking it might be possible as I once succeeded making a similar sized Titanic float (although the motorizing was an acutely embarrassing epic fail). However, I wonder if the weight of the masts might make it too top heavy.