Decoder for lighting only

Train Mad1707822774

I have a bachmann class 105 dmu obtained off the auction site, it was advertised as dcc fitted. When I tried it out the trailer car lights were not working, I realise I could return it but it is like brand new and I got it for what I think is a very good price.

I did check everything including resetting the decoder with the driving car on the programming track.

I have removed the body which I found suprisingly easy and tried the decoder the other way round just in case, I have come to the conclusion that the decoder is faulty.

I have a few spare decoders including Hornby R8249 and a couple of Gaugemaster Ruby DCC92. I am sure the Hornby decoders will work but would rather use the Ruby DCC92 as they were very cheap, they are 2 function and I was wondering if they would work.

Thank you in advance for any help given.

Hello again.

I've fitted the ruby decoder to the trailer car it looks like it's not pushed completely in just sitting a tiny bit proud of the socket, but I didn't want to use too much force.

I've tried it without the body on and the lights work in reverse but not in forward direction, I'm a bit puzzled I know the interior lights have connectors on the roof but didn't think that would make any difference to the direction lights.

I don't want to put the body on and then have to take it off again, I know I said it was easy the first time but that might be beginers luck, I'd watched a youtube video by new junction and copied what he did and it worked a charm only took a minute or so but I'm not sure if I could do it again.

I'll probably leave it till morning now, I'm getting a bit tired and might mess it up.

Thanks again for any further help given I really do appreciate it.

I use LaisDCC decoders if I need a lighting function on a loco. These are the cheapest DCC decoders you can buy and are ideal for lighting functions. Also it is a good idea to invest in a DCC decoder tester, it makes it a lot easier to figure out if the decoder is working properly. Again LaisDCC make a really cheap one.

I'd put the decoder in the wrong way round, it's working properly now only thing is isn't completely in the socket the plug seems to big. I'm afraid that if I put the body on it's only a matter of time before it comes off. I'll have a bit of a fiddle and see if I can get it to fit better. I might get a lais decoder to try out, the ruby is fine but the plug is just a teeny bit too wide for this purpose.

Thanks again

Hello again.

After using a bit more force to push the decoder in it feels more secure although still not perfect. When I put the body back on the lights weren't working correctly but after removing and refitting the body several times the lights are now working as they should. I am delighted and feel more confident should I need to do something similar again.

The original decoder was fitted the wrong way round so it might be ok although I think I tried reversing it but not sure.

I have been looking at decoder testers as was suggested. Thanks to ColinB for that. I knew about them but thought they were expensive, I'm definitely going to get one just a matter of which one the Lais or the Esu there's not much difference in price.

Thanks again much appreciated.