Powering an articulated unit

Rana Temporia

I motorised one of the Atlas editions French EMU units and it was obviously designed to be easy to do. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to do another one and chose the Z4702 articulated unit as I liked the look of it.

The construction of this unit is completely different and doesn’t appear to have been designed with motorisation in mind, and there is a lot more metal in it that may need to be worked with. Nothing is not solveable but i have never had to sort an articulated unit before. I would assume that the central bogie is the best one to power, and have the correct size tenshodo but that brings another problem in how to connect to the two coaches, as the finished unit will need to get around 1st radius curves so the distance between them will have to be worked out leaving a non-prototypical gap around the bogie. (Remember this is HO so 1st radius is not a real problem).

I have seen a photo of a motorised unit on a French website but there is no indication of how it was done.

Has anyone powered an articulated unit or has any other advice on where to put the power unit?

I hadn’t thought of looking at tram sites thanks, pretty obvious when you see a lot of the modern units in places like Manchester a Birmingham. As my partner keeps telling me, dont be so closed minded. I’ll put some time in over the weekend.

I think the biggest problem I’ll have is working out how to do it without ruining the appearance of the articulation and getting it round a first radius curve.

This is the unit and some quick calculations and tests show that I need a minimum of 15mm between the ends of the coaches to get it round a 1st radius curve. Losing the black corridor connections gets me 8mm so if I move each coach out on the central bogie by 4mm that should do it. I will also have to lose the cab steps but I can live with that.

forum_image_65610639940cb.thumb.png.d08a2ba0a60bd25bfd354b2ed75131fa.png