Help needed finding a photo of an early GWR ROD 2-8-0 loco in original condition

81F

As usual, I am looking for something slightly different for my layout and want to produce a particular version of the RODs used by the GWR shortly after WWI.

I recall seeing an early photo of one in original ROD condition (no GWR safety Valve cover and possibly still with the Westinghouse pump). The livery was still plain black but with the ROD lettering and number on the tender painted out using rather obvious patch in a different shade of black.

I believe it was possibly one of those hired to the GWR or one of the 50 in poor condition bought by the GWR which they ran into the ground.

The only trouble is I do not know where I saw the photo! I've tried Google but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

If a copy cannot be reproduced, all I need to know is the loco number (and confirmation that it was on a GWR number plate), if the Westing house pump was indeed still fitted and if the buffer beams look to be red (i.e. in a different shade of grey).

Many thanks for any assistance.

Steve

PS. not to be confused with the LNWR versions

I looked at many ROD images, in the hope that I could possibly spot the locomotive 81F is looking for. My search criteria was a tender which had ROD #### obviously painted over. Nothing yet...

I did notice these on a few:

forum_image_65616fe4d5ee2.thumb.png.91fd5fc785511e951c921a0458349d1e.png

What are these things? Looks to be a steam connection and possible an electrical output, but clearly, I haven't a clue. Is this the Westinghouse pump?

Bee

Thanks all, I will also keep looking.

Regarding the safety valve cover, the ROD engines originally had two separate safety valves as their LNER 04 counterparts and it wasn't until later that the GWR "Swindonised" them by fitting the typical GWR cover.

However, from what I have read, the locos hired from the Government after the war were not so altered and I believe this also applied to the no-so-good locos the GWR bought which they decided to run into the ground.

As an aside I have found one photo but I cannot make out the number and I think they might have "GREAT WESTERN" in full on the tenders rather than the black patch:

Great Western Railway - GWR (ex-ROD) 2-8-0 steam locomotive heading a freight train at Langley

(any idea how to make the above a hyper link?)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124446949@N06/50068611688

Your link, 81F, as a hyper link.

I simply copy the text of the desired link into a text editor, and then highlight it. My phone then asks if I would like to see what it links to. Sure, go ahead. Naturally, it brings me to the linked page. I back out of the page, save and then back out of the text editor. Go right back into the text editor and shazam, it is a hyperlink. Select the hyperlink there, copy, paste here.

Android phone.

Thanks again. @ RAF, yes I did follow up the link and it is indeed a model of this loco I have for adaptions when it was carrying 1918.

Sadly the problem still remains that I need to find the GWR number of an example that was not painted green and retained its original safety valves.

I examined your linked image in excruciating detail, under the highest magnification possible. This was only limited by the web resolution of a reproduced photograph.

The side of the tender is blank. I can observe features of the engineman's face¹, but no letters of any kind on the side of the tender.

There is a rectangular base under the visible safety valve, implying that there is another safety valve enveloped in the steam discharge. I think I can see another valve in the steam, but perhaps that is merely imagination.

The Westinghouse pump is clearly visible.

Under the engineman's arm is what has every appearance of a GWR number plate. Rectangular, with a raised border. I cannot read the number, but the original photograph will have better resolution than any web presentation. Is it possible to contact the photograph holder?

In other words, that photograph appears to meet all your criteria, less one. To wit: the number.

Bee

¹Example: the engineman appears to have a mustache!

Thanks Bee,

Your right about my requirements. This loco might indeed also have a black patch painted over the number as I believe the difference in colour mau have only been visible in certain light conditions.

Funily enough in my researching I have discovered that the real ROD 1918 (which my model is currently wearing) went to the LMS and while I now have a book that lists all the GWR numbers and whether they were bought, leased so at worst I probably have around a 1:50 chance of getting the right one - a bit better than my previous 1:100!

Also just noticed the one in the photo has an oval makers plate so not one of the North British locos. Sadly this mean I'll need to get a new makers plate as well as a numbers plate but that could narrow the search!