Decoder Identification

HampshireHog

I have recently bought an old Hornby Terrier of unknown vintage that I expected would be analogue as it was cheap. I thought I would put in a decoder myself. However it does have a decoder in the boiler housing which has no markings on. I have tried reading the manufacturer by putting it on the programme track and reading CV8 but each time it seems to come with a different number - 140 last time 255 now. CV7 now shows 198 but has shown different numbers as well. The trouble is it wont run at all after resetting CV8 to 8 and then using 3 as the loco number and setting up a long or short address doesn't help. It reacts when I try to change basic decoder CVs like 2,3 and 4 etc when it twitches or runs for a few centimetres so it can run. Am I wasting my time with a duff decoder or is there something else I should know? Help!

Thanks 96RAF for your reply. I see from the link you provided that Desktop Station list a Hornby R8246 loco decoder which in some places it says is a Hornby Sapphire chip, possibly the mini version, but I can't find an image of it to compare. It still doesn't solve the issue of not being able to get the loco running but I will try to clean more parts to see if it has too many dirty components.

R8245 was the Sapphire decoder, no longer made but may be sitting on a dusty shelf in a shop somewhere. It was a decent decoder either 8 or 21 pin via a detachable harness. There never was a mini version.

The Terrier is a very small loco so you may have to look at other makes to get a decoder of the same pin configuration small enough to fit. Zimo market very small decoders, but you need to establish if it is 4, 6 or 8 pin required, if indeed the loco has a socket and is not just hard-wired.

Hi Rog, tricky to show a picture as it is hard wired and placed in the boiler space with cables going through a small hole in the bulkhead. I will give it a go and also show the wiring of the decoder on the motor. I'm not at all familiar with the wiring so someone might be able to say if it looks OK. Cheersforum_image_656632c574058.png.8bb54f818f14fc0522e4d3b7fc484d9e.pngforum_image_656632c80d935.png.c9f82570dc3ea8f605696ab548dff12b.png

Hi again 96RAF. If you search for Sapphire mini in Google an ad comes up for on the Hattons website although without an image but with the number R8246. Presumably a very old advert.

I tested the Sapphire when it was first developed. No such thing as a mini version ever got into test much less production, a bit like their infra red wireless controller. That was way back probably 2009.

You can buy decoders with free wire tails in order to hard wire them yourself or you buy a simple decoder and cut off the plug.

I would guess a decoder swap is the way forward. Whilst you have it in bits to take out the old decoder connect each side pickup wire to a motor brush and test on DC.