Cloudy Areas After Varnishing

Hi,

I have had a go at modelling again after 40 old years after picking up a model from Aldi - Hunting Percival Jet Provost T4 starter kit.

I have gave model 3 coats of acrylic (brushed on) last coat was in the morning then in the evening I gave the model a coat of Humbrol Clear Gloss.

This morning I had a look at model and there are loads of white cloudy milky areas all over the model - any advice please where or what I have done wrong?forum_image_658a8d7b8d6da.thumb.png.89575c90bf6363e22d301361967416d8.pngforum_image_658a8d853dd09.thumb.png.a4c539f70c4a89fa58908b51f4137197.pngforum_image_658a8d8e69cb2.thumb.png.a6340a3dfda7e6607b03ab65c45b1f34.pngforum_image_658a8d97777ae.thumb.png.e010e24af443379d8f31eae957f28a08.png

Hi ian you might have already seen my answer before as i had all ready answered the question in an earlier post a little bit further down the page and i just copied some of it into here for you, its worth looking through the pages as i got loads of information from them when i first started on here but if you cant find an answer in there just ask, if someone has an answer they will post it for you but it can take a few days to get an answer.

i use clear gloss and have found that hot humid weather ( the really high temperatures we have been getting) can affect it it sort of goes white in places but another coat of gloss can usually sort most of this out when the previous coat its fully dried, and i would guess cold damp air would also affect it so i make sure the room im in is warm and dry ( air not damp like condensation on windows) and stays warm till the gloss has dried so i don't gloss anything in from late afternoon in the winter as the air can become damp as the room cools over night.

I make sure the paint is dry usually by leaving it at least two days ( that suits my style of building models anyway ) and give it two light coats by brush over a couple of days making sure each coat is fully dry, if you put it on too thick it can pool in places and go tacky as humbrol clear finds its own level, it is worth looking at humbrols channel on how to use there products there is some good tips on them some might work for you some might not we all have our own way of doing things and what works for us.

Paint/varnish blooming is caused by moisture condensing on, and being trapped in the wet film. This may be due to:

·        Painting during cold, wet or humid conditions.

·        Draughty workspace, or inadequate heating and/or air movement.