1:35 Cromwell Mk.IV- Painting tips

Derek-376476

Sometimes it's nice just to ask the question and interact with other forum members. Even if five people ask similar questions it helps keep forums alive.

I've found it's often helpful to use a plastic primer, an aerosol from Halfords works fine for me. I like the old style enamel paints best but many get on fine with acrylics. I don't like the 'patchy panel' effects that many pursue in the quest for realism, I don't recall many real machines looking like that, but weathering, wear and chipping effects can work well. I use the YouTube videos as a source of new ideas and materials. The magazines are interesting too.

There's been lots of new stuff in the last 40 years!

Paul

There's nothing wrong with asking questions in those pre-existing topics. There is no difference between painting a tank. a car, an aeroplane or any other model, the principles are all the same. By posting in the existing thread it shows that the questioner has looked for an answer, and if further explanation is needed it can be added there for the benefit of all. So often a new thread is started and we never know whether the questioner has even read the reply given.

It's courtesy to say thanks for advice received. I've benefitted loads from various forums, and often a short thank you generates even more useful info. All to often you see a one post question from a new member and no subsequent communication, makes you wonder what happened. Many have moved over to Facebook which is really disappointing as you can't see the 'library' of information the same.

This forum is pretty much dying on its feet, I don't think it's particularly helpful to castigate anybody using the largest type text (akin to shouting), because they don't conform to your own personal perception of how a forum should operate.

Paul, it went to that size because I copied and pasted the forum title - there is no way to resize - or even type again because all subsequent type remains in that size.

All I was trying to do was point him to the appropriate place.

I’m getting back into it all again, feeling like a paint-by-numbers man in a room of Rembrandts.

My best advice is to treat it all as a learning exercise - have fun rather than worry about the result - and look at YouTube videos. Airbrushing is a subject in itself, so assuming you don’t have access to one, 1/35 tanks take me a surprisingly long time to paint by brush so consider using rattle can primers, colours and varnishes.

As to comments on the forum, Facebook groups seem to have taken over, which is a shame as advice is harder to search for there.