Film (or TV) Inspired Train Packs or Running sessions.

81F

Off the back of several other threads and both the Hornby and Rapido Titfield Thunderbolt packs, can anyone think of films or TV programmes that might inspire a Train Pack, Layout or even just a running session and what models might be available.

Given that I have both the above train packs and have just bought the PECO Monkton Coombe station building Kit (together with a Wills Ground Level Signal box), you can probably guess what I might try to fit in that spare 8'x1' area above my hidden sidings.

Used to love Ivor the engine, and Idris the dragon 😁

we had a similar thread a while back and some great links came up, well worth doing again for some fun. As a kid I was terrified by ‘The Horror Express’ it was on at Christmas the same year I got my own 2 rail set, to run an East German loco on with a mixed bag of continental coaches, some CIWL sleepers. I had bought a book on the Trans Siberian Railway too in a second hand book shop earlier in the year. With the lights off (loco had lights!!) and a head full of stories I terrified myself on the bedroom carpet for weeks! 🤣

It has always surprised me, given the number of film and TV tie-ins over the years in Scalextric, Airfix and Corgi, more use of this hasn't been made by Hornby. Licensing issues certainly come into it and maybe the cost vrs return was never worthwhile. There is of course the Rapido set and I think someone produced a set based on the Railway Children. I don't even know if many other model railway producers have many themed sets other than

Whilst I've nothing against The Polar Express, both Titfield Thunderbolt and Railway Children are pretty lame. There are, however, plenty of great train films out there that Hornby, or others, could offer that would make me get out my wallet!

Top of my wishlist is

which could almost be done from existing Electrotren tooling as it was mostly filmed in Spain. Next, in no particular order could be The Train (YouTube) - Jouef,
and
, all ideal for Rivarossi as either US or Italian and if any of the Hornby International brands felt like venturing towards Russia there is
. A very steam filled film that is pretty intense and not for the fainthearted. Of course if Bachmann fancied giving OO a kick start into the Indian Market there is

There is of course Snowpiercer - the film, TV show and graphic novel, but I reckon that would have to be N scale on 16.5mm gauge track.

We could also include great train songs such as

by Louis Rive and
by just about everyone.

The Railway Children is one of the greatest films ever made. The absolute obvious film trainset surely has to be ‘M on The Orient Express’

Agree that while Scalextric and Corgi have embraced the Film/TV licence Hornby has been slow to investigate this asides Thomas (that’s a huge licence fee still)

Casey Jones, steamin’ and a rollin’

Carey Jones, you never have to guess

When you hear the tootin’ of the whistle

It’s Casey at the throttle of the cannonball express

I’ll pretend I’m not as old as I am and allow the younger members to wonder just what I’m on about……..

Casey Jones and his stripy outfit! Must watch Sat morning TV. I did start getting suspicious how so many things that needed sorting, happened along the railway. I’m still not entirely convinced it was all true 😳

Reading RT's text, typo exempted! ....

I could hear the original theme in my head!

I even remember when they had 'the race' - how unprofessional was that!!

Don't forget Grandpa Pig from Pepper Pig, with his narrow gauge set - helped out when there was a traffic jam .... not a movie I know.

Al.

Now that RTs brought up Casey Jones, its amazes me that there hasn't been (to my knowledge) a 'full spec' model of Sierra Railroad No. 3. This engine has starred alongside Clint Eastwood, James Stewart, Audie Murphy, Randolph Scott, Gary Cooper, William Shatner, Gene Hackman, Burt Reynolds, all the Carradine brothers and of course Michael J Fox who turned it into a time machine!

And then there are the TV shows including Casey Jones, Rawhide, Bonanza, Lassie and The A Team.

What a machine.