Air Sea Rescue Launch 1944

I haven't built a ship or a boat since the 'Santa Maria' around sixty years ago (as far as I can remember) but I've recently acquired the Airfix 1/72 Air Sea Rescue launch kit.

forum_image_65a3f068bda4a.png.3f69e8c240a7d2de68a81893d0de287e.png

I suspect that it's going to be a very steep learning curve! I'm building it as part of a display of 'D-Day in Dorset' (marking the 80th anniversary) - no problem of course with aircraft at Warmwell, but I want to build the ASR launch as part of 40ASRMCU, a flotilla of which was based at Weymouth. I've got a list of the numbers used on the Weymouth boats - ranging from 014 through to 2707 (there appears to have been 13 in all during the war years), but nowhere can I find a record of which boats would actually have been in use on D-Day. So as a novice boat builder, I'd be very grateful if anyone can supply the necessary info (or guide me to where I might find it), and also, can anyone recommend the correct Vallejo colour for the main hull?

Still, it'll make a change from aircraft!

Hi Null-Null98.

Welcome back to the hobby. Airfix recommend Matt Black for the hull colour. Having built two of these kits in both liveries matt black might be correct but personally I feel it's a bit harsh and would benefit with some toning down similar to modelling night fighters but maybe not as much. You could try Model Air Panzer dark grey and / or Dark grey blue either separately or mixed. in the Model Colour range try Black grey, German dark grey, Dark blue grey and Dark sea green, Experiment with these and I'm sure you'll find just the right shade that looks just right.

I've made two of these 1/72 Airfix boats, the E-Boat and the RAF Rescue launch and really enjoyed both. Both being excellent kits that belie their age, and make up into superb models even by todays standards, I'm still looking for the MTB. The kits also have arguably the best crew figures that Airfix have ever produced, and it's worth spending that little bit extra time on them with the paint brush, it can make a huge difference. Hope this is helpful and looking forward to seeing the completed model.

Remember we do this for fun. John the Pom

Thanks for your reply John - much appreciated. I've experimented with mixing a bit of dark blue into the black - it seems to give a better finish, and does not look quite so dark - though obviously it's hard to tell what it will look like on the whole hull rather than just a 'swatch'.

And I agree with your point about the quality of the crew figures - would that Airfix would replicate that sort of design philosophy in some other kits!

One thing that I am trying to get my head around is the totally different build order (relative to the 1/72 aircraft to which I am more accustomed) - but I'm sure it'll make me a better all-round modeller.

But thanks so much for the advice.