A question of scale.

81F

Can someone tell me what scale is the Forward Command Post is as well as th e Waterloo farm house and other vehicle kits are since I have seen them labeled as 00, 1/72 and latterly 1/76 (i.e. back to 00).

I know the two scales are very close, but it does start to make a difference if you are displaying two items of different scale together (like trying to fit a tank on a 00 scale Warflat railway wagon).

Hi 18F

The older Airfix armour models (basically those before 2000) were all 00 or 1;76 scale, today they are sold as Vintage Classics, and should be marked with the tooling date and the correct scale of 1/76 or 00 (HO scale is about 1/87) The modern Airfix small armour and airfield vehicle sets are a true 1/72, but at the moment really only consists of a few tanks, and the airfield accessory sets, Airfix seeks to be concentrating on the 1/35 scale. Also be careful as the old Matchbox kits were also 1/76 and are sometimes released by Revell and marked 1/72 although Revell has now released some of their own proper 1/72 armour kits.

Redacted as it breaks site rules about promoting other brands.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom.

It always struck me as mad that the Airfix vintage airfield accessories where 1/76, such as the control tower, RAF emergency set, refueling set, recovery set, and 4 sets of ground crew figures, when it is obvious that modellers will only be using them to support 1/72 aircraft models. Who at Airfix thought 1/76 was a good idea for these?

Tell you what Airfix, why not retool them all to 1/72, watch them fly off the shelves.

Who at Airfix thought 1/76 was a good idea for these?

Back in the 50s, when they were introduced, model railwaying was THE hobby and they were made to support that, and so were made in the HO/00 scale and sold accordingly. Things have moved on in the ensuing 60-70 years and the latest toolings have indeed been 1/72, recognising that customers want them in the same scale as aircraft. It would be great to have some updated kits. All the old building range have issues - not being particularly accurate - the Farmhouse is sort of like La Haye Sainte, but not quite, and the Airfield Control Tower, Coastal Fort etc are generic rather than based on real examples.

Oh! i see my post above has bee redacted for seemingly promoting other brands. I'm sorry that you think that, as I've seen other brands high-lighted or featured in this forum . All i was rying to sujest to 18F that i know airfix has two scales of armour kits

:Whoop! I'll start again.

Oh! i see my post above has bee redacted for seemingly promoting other brands. I'm sorry that you think that, as I've seen other brands high-lighted or featured in this forum . All I was trying to suggest to 18F was that I know airfix has two scales of armour kits. And that the newer kits were all 1/72 scale and that the Revell / Matchbox tie-in suffers with the same problem of having two scales.

For some reason i felt 18f was quite a new member which i was wrong in assuming as he has over 4000 posts. I them tried to inform 18f of other 1/72 manufacturers of 1/72 armour that are not that common and a bit esoteric or unusual and or hard to find like the old ESCI and HASA Mini-Box seres all of which do pop-up from time to time. Not one of the main manufactures really concentrates on the brail scale armour Arguably the two biggest being Dragon from China, and Roden from the Ukraine. Some kits from the later can be a bit of a challenge, but worth the effort. Hopefully there's a model shop near you that you can rummage around in you never know what you'll find.

many of the old Airfix 1/76 vehicles can still be used if kept in the distance on dioramas to give a false perspective.

IO see there's a post on this forum requesting posting of members 1/72 vehicles, Think i'll have to dig out some of my more unusual model and give them some light.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom

Many thanks for the info above. I have to confess to a terrible secret in that I am mostly a Railway Modeler in 00 ;-) hence my interest in 1/76 scale and most of my posts are actually on the Hornby Forum.

However, 00 kits for military vehicles are likely to provide a good source of wagon loads for a rake of Warflat tank transporter wagons and the forward command post looks just the thing for a ruined cottage at the back of a Welsh slate mine.

The idea art putting the 00 models at the back is a good idea if you model 1/72 as I do the same with HO gauge road vehicles and 1/72 aircraft flying over the model railway do not look too bad - just a bit lower than they should be.