Hornby R30319

ColinB

Has anyone bought this model? I am thinking of getting one to replace my old Airfix one that is terrible. I read somewhere that this latest version has some improvements and as I have about £30.00 of points off Hornby, I can get it quite cheap. The trouble is I don't want to buy it, if is bad as its predecessor (traction tyres etc). Trouble is it is a Railroad model so probably not that many sensible reviews out there. I know it is not DCC ready but I can sort that.

The review certainly showed traction tyres on the rear driving wheels (but they do have pick-ups for the occasional flange contact with the rail) so it looks very much as if the model is unchanged. If, by your reference to the Airfix model, you are wondering if it has moved on from plunger pick-ups, it did so from the beginning of Hornby production.

Customer Services are always open to direct questions and respond to my queries very quickly, often the next day.

It is now showing as Out of Stock at Hornby.

Having looked again at the review posted on RMweb, it is stated quite categorically that the loco does have traction tyres and they are visible on the rear driving wheels of the example the reviewer is holding having removed it from a R30319 box.  In addition, you can see reference made to them on the accompanying Maintenance Sheet.

1 hour ago, Going Spare said:

Having looked again at the review posted on RMweb, it is stated quite categorically that the loco does have traction tyres and they are visible on the rear driving wheels of the example the reviewer is holding having removed it from a R30319 box.  In addition, you can see reference made to them on the accompanying Maintenance Sheet.

This is what I got from Hornby Towers...

Good day Rob,
Thank you for your enquiry.
I have looked at the spec sheet for this model and it appears to not include traction tires.
Kind Regards,
Christian Shorrock
Customer Technical Advisor
T:+44 (0)1843 233512

• 4 weeks later...

Sam did a review of this loco and like me he assumed that they had updated it. It appears from his review that they changed the spring on the rear pony but not much else. It still has traction tyres which probably explains the poor running and no DCC socket. It is amazing that Hornby has sold out of them but there again it is relatively cheap. The downside was it still doesn't have a decent cab and no glazing to the windows. I am tempted to buy an old one and add a DCC socket and pack it full of "stay alive" to see if you can get a decent performing loco.