TT120 stock in Fenwick store

Moccasin

was idly looking at the small Hornby stock area in the Fenwick department store in Newcastle this afternoon and suddenly spotted some TT120 stock.

One of the store staff came over and was enthusing about it and was saying he’d had lots of interest. The area is apparently a Hornby-owned concession. Stock is at full Hornby RRP but could prove useful for buying the odd item or two and saving shipping cost.

IMG_0324 Medium.jpeg

• Like 3

There used to be a Hornby section in Canterbury Fenwicks but I've no idea if it's still there as I haven't been in the shop for years.   I do recall the pricing was always top whack. 

Edited by ntpntpntp

14 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

There used to be a Hornby section in Canterbury Fenwicks but I've no idea if it's still there as I haven't been in the shop for years.   I do recall the pricing was always top whack. 

They’re top whack with pricing on most things! That said, there was on offer of 20% off some Lego sets, including an Ultimate Millennium Falcon in a battered box. Time was when I’d have been able to justify that to myself! Fenwick in Newcastle is their flagship store now that their London Bond Street store has closed. 

I do wonder whether Hornby will expand a trial of their experiential retail concept here. The toy/model section is always busy at the weekend and it’s the sort of place where it could do well. Am surprised they don’t sell Pocher for the rich folk of Darras Hall/Ponteland…

Just now, taunmarc88 said:

It’s so good to see it on shelves. My local Hornby stockist don’t have any yet but I’d definitely find myself picking up extra wagons all the time if and when they do!

This was the first time I’ve seen TT120 items I don’t own!

It was difficult not to pick up an Esso tanker I have to confess. As I work in the city centre, it may yet happen. That said, I’m taking the day off on Friday to visit the Model Rail Scotland exhibition in Glasgow and it’ll be impossible (not to mention rude) not to come back from that with something! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 08 does need something more than carriages to move around, but all my TT120 stuff is packed away in the wardrobe at the moment. My vague notions of a layout are just that. My motivation for doing many things (except for procrastination) is quite low at the moment.

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

Peter, I am working on something at the moment, that might inspire you or anyone, that only has a small space currently. It’s using things that are available now and has a broad era appeal too 😁

I do have my scalemodelscenery baseboard which is 1100 x 220 mm  which I could use for a very small shunting layout, but having tried a few ideas in AnyRail, it would essentially be 2-3 sidings of 2-3 lengths or so of straight track, a headshunt and a small hidden siding. It could alternatively be a small TMD.

I’m currently with you Mocassin, I’m starting to think I’m more of a TT collector than a modeller. I’m currently looking at the small shelf layout idea. Perhaps a heritage railway station with sidings. Just shunting a few wagons. 

The Newcastle store is their biggest now and has almost half a floor given over to toys. The Hornby area is quite small - Airfix, Hornby etc on two short aisles, so I’d be surprised if they sold it anywhere else. 

5 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

PS Also, in York they’d be competing with Monk Bar Model shop, whereas there’s nothing in Newcastle city centre. 

Monk Bar do not sell TT 120. The last I heard was they will order anything you want but wont be stocking it. That was at Xmas time so no idea if they have changed their minds.

I appreciate that, but Newcastle has nothing at all, so Fenwick have presumably managed to keep their OO & Airfix stock profitable. I doubt they’d be able to do that in York and the smaller store would make it less worthwhile - other lines would likely be a better use of their space.