Hornby silver locomotives

Hi @Colin-379945 

I'm currently working alongside Simon Kohler on a project within the video games industry. Just last week, (when I met with him), I posed your question on your behalf. Today, Simon kindly responded with detailed information about Hornby locomotives. He provided a list of all the Hornby locomotives with 'Silver' in their names, with the notable exception of the R30349 Dublo 'Silver King' BR 60016. This model is noteworthy as it's set to launch this year and will be the first Hornby 'Silver' model made in BR green. The donor model is still 2004. Tooling has been modified, and for example it will have the new drawbar between the loco and tender like the A4 locos in the Great Gathering 10-year anniversary range launched last year

Here are the key details from the list he provided:

- There are 17 instances of Hornby Class A4 locomotives with 'Silver' in their name.
- Among these, '2509 Silver Link' appears most frequently, listed 4 times.
- The dataset includes 6 unique 'Silver '-named locomotives but only 4 are actual real locos with the Silver Jubilee train set and Spencer fantasy "Silvers".
- These locomotives were released over various years, with 2015 being a particularly significant year, featuring 4 model loco releases. This was for the '80th Anniversary of Silver Jubilee Loco Collection and the models were a Limited Edition of 1000 units, which is a highlight of the Silver collection over the years.

Additionally, there was also a train set called 'The Silver Jubilee.' I have attached an Excel sheet Simon provided that notes the first year of release as 1979 up to 2015. The column 'donor' models indicate where the base tooling started. The 2008 donor year was for the less detailed Railroad range. This was also the model used for "Spensor" from the Thomas The Tank Engine world which was also based on the 'Silver' Jubilee range of real locos. Copy of Hornby Silver A4 loco listing.xlsxCopy of Hornby Silver A4 loco listing.xlsxCopy of Hornby Silver A4 loco listing.xlsx

I hope this data offers a comprehensive guide for collectors like you. To our knowledge, there are no other UK steam locomotives in the real world with 'Silver' in the name, making this a distinct subset of the Hornby catalogue and therefore there were only four steam locos with 'Silver' in the loco name.

There was also the LMS locomotive 5552 ‘Silver Jubilee’; whilst this has never been modelled by Hornby there have been Bachmann examples in both original LMS special black livery and in BR green

If you are thinking of A4 Pacifics, I think there were 4 (if you mean actual locomotives rather than models): Silver Link, Quicksilver, Silver King and Silver Fox.

Edited by The Doc

According to Pat Hammond's British Model Trains Catalogue, there was also a 1999 Flying Scotsman train pack R2089 containing Silver Link in early logo green, 2002 single loco R2266 Silver Fox in late logo BR green and 2009 Yorkshire Pullman mail order set R1136 which included Railroad-standard Quicksilver in BR green.

As these were not included in Simon Kohler's list (which seems to have used the same information source), were they not released?