Surprisingly Good Runners ...

We all love a good little rant and nowhere better than an open forum with 'like-minded' other enthusiasts ....

Have said that, I've been looking at 0-6-0 tender locomotives - 3 of Bachmann and an old favourite Q1 from Hornby.

I've given the Q1 a little check over - seemed to only run once the tender was connected, but checking everything there were no broken wires, just a good clean and light lube required ... running well.

Other 0-6-0's in my little list are a Fowler 4F and a possibly-Johnson 3F - both more recent '21-pin models', and an old J39.

The J39's an old 'split chassis' locomotive but runs like an absolute dream - slow and smooth are possible, even over express points, and with very low power consumption the equivalent of modern locomotives, plus a very decent turn of speed - this one's the 'surprise' locomotive for me, particularly with the other split chassis design 'experiences' I've had over the years!

What's yours?

Al.

I've always found that the split chassis locos the best runners (Mainline/Bachmann 78XX, 2251, 43XX, 57XX 03 etc.). The only downfall being the conversion to DCC and that the bond between the insulating part of the axles failing leading to the quartering going out.

Sadly it is for this reason that I have withdrawn two of my Mainline 43XX having obtained the DAPOL versions. However they will not go to waste as they will be repainted into BR plain black, heavily weathered and will make up a train of withdrawn locos going for scrap once the con-rods are removed.

I converted all my Bachmann split chassis to DCC. Admittedly in the case of the A4s it involved a lot of machining around the motor mounts to insulate the motor but other than that no issues. The Mainline ones were a different issue because the wheels turned in the axles putting the quartering out but in the end I bought Bachmann chassis and did the necessary split chassis conversion. The only real issue I had with the DCC was finding enough room for a socket, in the end I used 6 pin ones and Zimo direct fit 6 pin decoders. 

I've probably another coming in the form of an N-Class - hopefully it's as smooth-operating as that J39.

Even easing out very slowly, it can do as smooth as virtually anything!  Impressive.

Al.