Running a Lima loco on a hornby track

Hello everyone. 
I’m a complete novice to model railways & have got my first hornby set. The Network traveler. 
I have also been a given Lima loco which I absolutely love. 
However it doesn’t run with the hornby DCC controller.

I have tested the Lima loco with putting a 9 volt battery on the track & it runs perfectly. 

what power supply do i need so I can run both trains on the same track.? 

Until the Lima loco has a DCC decoder fitted don't put it on the DCC track, you will fry the motor!  Without knowing exactly which Lima loco you have, it will probably require the decoder to be wired into place (it probably hasn't got a DCC decoder socket).
Once you have a decoder fitted, you can then run it on the track at the same time as the Hornby loco.

Just to add, never put any loco (Lima, Hornby or other) on a DCC track unless you know for sure it has a DCC decoder fitted.   The risk of damage to the loco's motor makes it not worthwhile, even if the DCC system purports to allow running one DC loco.  That is an old capability which fell out of favour many many years ago and is known to be very unhealthy for some modern motors. Decoders are cheap enough that it's much more sensible to buy and fit one first. 
You can safely do the opposite (ie. put a DCC loco on a DC track). Unless it's been disabled in the decoder,  the loco will run on DC.

Wayne.

The Network Traveller is not a DCC set. Did you mistype DC above? If so, it means the guys answers above have gone off on a tangent!

If it is indeed an unmodified R1279 Network Traveller set you have, then the Lima loco should run. The basic controller that comes with the starter set doesn't have much grunt and if the Lima loco is old and unserviced may be having problems because it may require more power than is available.

• Like 1

Can you tell us which LIMA loco it is? Thankfully most of the LIMA loco's I have are very easy to work on be it hard wiring a DCC decoder or just servicing especially their British outline Diesels.