Can anyone identify this Loco?

Hi everyone. I have obtained this loco from an elderly relative. It is DCC fitted, and I have assigned it the number 29. I would like to know what type of loco it is so I can assign it a profile on Railmaster. I have no idea what manufacturer it was from or anything. Any ideas? XYZ

PHO00001.JPG

Hi XYZ,

The model is a DB 218 decorated as a fictional Dutch loco. These have been in Roco's starter sets for years and have appeared in various liveries depending on the intended market. I have the DB red version that came with my 2003 digital start set with Lokmaus 2. Many of us would have been introduced to DCC with this loco. 

The Spanish version as a fictional Class 320 looks  really smart. 

There are a number of other fictitious NS diesel and electric locos available from various manufacturers but there are also some genuine ones. Playcraft produced a model of the NS1300 class in blue which was the version of the SNCF BB7100 class that they sold to the Netherlands. It was a different body moulding to the French model but shared the same chassis. Jouef then produced this model in the later ‘Dutch’ yellow and grey colours, Jouef never produced the early blue version. Jouef also produced the Spanish version of the loco which again was a different body moulding and I think the prototype was 3Kv dc as opposed to 1.5Kv dc. Lima has also produced versions of the same loco. 

Lima has produced the NS1200 class in blue and yellow/grey, and possibly maroon? I think Marklin and ROCO have also produced models of this class. There are models available of the short BO BO electric (ROCO?) that again was a follow up from a French design but I forget the class number. The Dutch put noses on the end to protect their drivers when the class was refurbished. And don’t forget the British EM2s that were sold to the NS, the only HO model I know of that was produced of these was a very expensive brass version.