Removing pre fitted speaker

5 hours ago, CaNNoN_1981 said:

When was the loco purchased? speakers in TT loco's shouldn't be blowing so soon.

I'd sent it back to Hornby for a replacement.

BritInVanCA is not in the UK so I imagine sending it back is an expensive option. I have to agree though speakers shouldn't blow and if I remember from my audio days, if they go short circuit they take out the audio stage of the driver.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColinB said:

BritInVanCA is not in the UK so I imagine sending it back is an expensive option. I have to agree though speakers shouldn't blow and if I remember from my audio days, if they go short circuit they take out the audio stage of the driver.

My reputation proceeds me!

Yes I’m overseas as my user name implies so I tend to limit returns to the things I can’t fix myself. I wasn’t going to go into a long explanation but I had the HM7000 decoder fail in this locomotive. After months of normal operation the locomotive started causing an overload fault whenever it was on the track. Even when stationary. When I removed the decoder and ran it on DC it was fine. I returned the decoder to Hornby and they replaced it but it seems the issue also took out the speaker. 

1 hour ago, BritInVanCA said:

My reputation proceeds me!

Yes I’m overseas as my user name implies so I tend to limit returns to the things I can’t fix myself. I wasn’t going to go into a long explanation but I had the HM7000 decoder fail in this locomotive. After months of normal operation the locomotive started causing an overload fault whenever it was on the track. Even when stationary. When I removed the decoder and ran it on DC it was fine. I returned the decoder to Hornby and they replaced it but it seems the issue also took out the speaker. 

Just be aware the built in speaker is connected into circuit via spring contacts whereas the aftermarket decoder speaker is plug wired. With the original speaker removed and the 'box' speaker replacing it make sure you don't short anything out by inadvertent contact with the loco circuit board. 

• Thanks 1