Stanier coaches

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, SMR248 said:

Presumably they're frantically "fettling" them in China before shipping them.  Or perhaps Hornby are blissfully unaware?  I wonder how/if they fixed the Mk1s?

Hornby are aware, I have sent videos and photos of the problem two weeks ago, they also mentioned it in the video this morning.

The Mk1 underframes were modified by removing the offending material and altering the moulds.

Edited by Silver Fox 17

1 hour ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

Hornby are aware, I have sent videos and photos of the problem two weeks ago, they also mentioned it in the video this morning.

The Mk1 underframes were modified by removing the offending material and altering the moulds.

I'm pleased that you've told them.  I hope they sort it quickly.

I should have read through the whole thread - I did read your initial comments but must have misunderstood your conclusion.

They should be paying you for testing their products!

• Haha 1

On 19/04/2024 at 13:22, SMR248 said:

Not much "testing" then!  The big difference between TT120 and 00 is that TT120 is closer to scale and the clearances are less.

I'm going to wait before buying any 57' carriages.

Presumably they're frantically "fettling" them in China before shipping them.  Or perhaps Hornby are blissfully unaware?  I wonder how/if they fixed the Mk1s?

I just watched the TT video interview with Hornby talking to Peachy, it explains the issue pretty well.  Basically very tight tolerances and the production version of the coach showed an issue that wasn’t present in the test shots.  The plastic frames are slightly ‘swollen’ compared to the testing versions so the wheels catch a bit.  I’ve fixed mine (it’s a quick and easy fix) but Hornby are also adjusting the moulds for future releases so the LMS version so it’s been delayed by a few months.

Edited by John-L

11 hours ago, John-L said:

I just watched the TT video interview with Hornby talking to Peachy, it explains the issue pretty well.  Basically very tight tolerances and the production version of the coach showed an issue that wasn’t present in the test shots.  The plastic frames are slightly ‘swollen’ compared to the testing versions so the wheels catch a bit.  I’ve fixed mine (it’s a quick and easy fix) but Hornby are also adjusting the moulds for future releases so the LMS version so it’s been delayed by a few months.

Yes, I watched the video as well (well worth watching).  Carl was very honest (probably got a kicking from his boss later) and said words to the effect that it was a manufacturing fault (or, if you prefer, the design tolerances are too tight to allow for the manufacturing tolerances).

What I took away from this is that Hornby don't have much control over the quality of the products coming from "their" factory in China (not exactly a surprise).

I'd contrast this with Rapido (also not perfect) who seem to make a point of showing images of the production in "their" factory.

I hope they fix it before I get mine.  If not I'll be sending it back.  

8 minutes ago, SMR248 said:

I hope they fix it before I get mine.  If not I'll be sending it back.  

I know we should not have to but it is an easy fix to remedy, possibly even with a sharp knife as opposed to me grinding the plastic away.

I agree with @Silver Fox 17 but I also understand anyone who feels it should be perfect out of the box. There are no right or wrong answers just what’s right for the individual. Those slightly nervous at taking a knife to a new model, this is a very simple fettle and unlikely you would need warranty on a coach in the future, so ‘low risk’. A loco would be a bigger deal. I don’t weather locos or add coal etc until they are out of warranty. Except the 08 and that got it almost straight out of the box! Full repaint, weathered and some hacking about inside, poor thing but runs like a dream 🤣

• Like 1