New Display shelfs

After an ongoing discussion in another thread on how to display the larger bomber aircraft in a limited space, Dominic asked me to keep him informed on what i did to find solutions for it as space was limited by steep eves of the roof so i started this to keep things in one place and not take other threads in a different direction.

I've gone for the kallax storage unit turned on its side as it will fit under the eves of the roof without coming too far into the room.

newshelfKALLEX.thumb.jpg.4742fdd7edddd43219c1c1f58451ce48.jpg

layed this way its a 146.5 cm long 76.5 cm high and 39 cm deep, each square is 33.5 x 33.5 cm 39 cm deep.

You can get an insert to fit into the square that has a glass shelf and door (i will get these at a later date)  which was another point for me getting this.

as you can see it has also given me some storage for my stash (just loosely shoved in for now) these were in boxes out of the way and i had forgotten about some of the kits i had.

there is a bit of room on top but the height is restricted by the eves of the roof but should still be able to get built kits with wheels down on ok.

as for the squares I've done a few trial's with things to see what i might be able to fit

Tornado 1:48 scale fits in at an angle

tornado1-48scale.thumb.jpg.d80aa0457b07525f8a449ccac650e43f.jpg

lancaster 1:72 scale will fit this way but I'm hoping once built it will go at a slight angle with the wings on.

lancaster1-72scale.thumb.jpg.d075959f6307ba96bc405d84aa916913.jpg

D-Day air assault diorama base fits nicely in the space.

D-Dayairassault.thumb.jpg.14f77edb94ced43c2f56e298885c731c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

had a trip to ikea and had a look at the shelfs to fit in the kallax shelving, i could have got just a glass shelf that fitted in but i would have had to mess about measuring and drilling my own holes to fit this and get it level, i decided to get the insert that you build up this comes with holes already drilled for the shelf but the main reason i went for this is that it has a back to it and comes with a glass door so should help to keep the dust down.

IMG_7525.JPG.d448d2b1c03136211da09c1e74f1d582.JPG 

the screws that hold the hinges in place also screw into the shelving holding it all in place so things cant fall out of the back unlike they could with just a shelf, two screws go into the opposite side to help secure it all, the glass door can be put on to open from either side.

IMG_7528.JPG.ae5a3690aee2052ed29a40f4088db879.JPG