Kadee and Airfix type coupling pockets.

Posted (edited)

Of all the different types of Kadee coupling mounts, does anyone know if there is one that will fit into the Airfix type coupling pocket without carving up the chassis (although dismantling the pocket and putting it back together is acceptable)?

My hope is to replace the current wide push in coupling fitted to the Tender of my GWR King George V so that it can pull American  Rolling stock.

Also even if it is possible to fit the coupling would the height difference make this a pointless exercise?

Edited by 81F

I don't know what type of mount an 'Airfix' style pocket is but Kadee HO couplers can be broken down broadly to two types. US and NEM. The US couplings are designed to fit an NMRA 'box' into which the coupling and centering spring sit. Some come with their own boxes designed to be screwed/glued/other to vehicle. There are a numbers of different shank position options to allow for some variation in height and length. Have a good look at the Kadee website for the options.

Would you not be easier butchering one of your US wagons and sticking a UK style coupling on it rather than messing with the king?

The "Airfix" type pocket is the type fitted to Hornby's Auto coach, 14XX and some other rolling stock made from the tooling they purchased from DAPOL a few years ago. These models were originally made by Airfix in the 1980s. If someone can tell me what the diameter of the pivot that fits through the hole in the Kadee coupling is I might be able to work the rest out for myself. by checking the height against my few American coached and locos I already have. Sadly none have nem pockets.