Hornby A4

Hi everyone.

Bit of a dilemma.

I have an A4 Peregrine from the Blue Streak box.

Was a decent runner but decided to clean the wheels on the loco and give it a bit of a service. 

I disconnected the chassis and unfortunately the below part came off the chasis (It was attached to the coupling rod after it came off and I've since disconnected it)

I can't find where it attaches back onto the shell and now the loco is running awfully.

Anybody have any ideas and how to fix it and reconnect it ?

Thanks in advance.

20240507_235404.jpg

20240507_235410.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hello @Monty999

The part appears to be a component of the valve gear / connecting rod assembly.  The oversized screw hole on the one end is a give-away.

To discover which one and where it goes, compare the left and right side views.  The side elevation views.  You should be able to spot the side that still has the part, whilst the other side does not.

That is, the valve gear is symmetric from side to side 

If you like, post images of the two sides.  Helpful hints on reassembly may be in the offing

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Add clarifying word

Posted (edited)

WhatsAppImage2024-05-08at15_38_00.jpeg.da97dc44f0a6ffa7b7ebe77519c42e9d.jpeg

In your picture, you can see one side have this part of the Valve Gear so, I assuming, ( I could be wrong) other side one is absent and that's where second picture part will go. On second thought I think the part shown in the second picture is broken and should connected to valve gear, one side part of the Valve gear and other side goes on wheel bolt.

Edited by Deem

Behind your green highlight outline rectangle, underneath the running board you'll see a black piece of plastic.

This should have a pin in it, and the black plastic end - ensure the rods are the correct way around - goes into this pin.

The other end locates onto the REAR RHS driver.  This is the 'oiler' and was a way of lubricating the rods, etc., on the full sized locomotive.

This is always the issue with A4's.  All will have the oiler on, which must be removed before the body is removed.  LATE LOGO B.R. A4's will also have the speedo cable on the LHS, which must be removed before removing the body.

Al.

image.thumb.png.b952ba3ce509bca03b6d63254d83be47.png

This is just an example, I don't know if this is the correct part for your loco or not. As you can see in the picture both side are connected via some kind of rivet or compressed metal )red circle) with movement and other side connect to wheel (green circle).

Hi all.

Thanks for your replies.

The valve gear to the left (closest to the cab) is where it was attached too. I have removed it to try and refit.

I believe it was connected to the black plastic part under the running plate. I have removed it from the body to gain access but it came off also which I have re glued.

The smaller of the 2 ends connects to black plastic part but can't find where. The service sheets show it does but its not clear at all where it connects too.

I'll assume I've dropped a part off the plastic part? Any ideas if these are repairable/replaceable ? 

There should be a hole at the top of the plastic part on the end of the linkage.

The rod should then feed through this hole leaving very free movement.

The other - metal - end has the stamped oval shape which should be a nice snug fit on top of the coupling rod where it locates on the rear wheel, generally the central metal pivot aims towards the centre, which when in operation should permit slight but regular linear movement as the loco moves along the track.

Al.

12 hours ago, Monty999 said:

...I can't find where it attaches back onto the shell and now the loco is running awfully.

Monty,

This bit of linkage is not the root cause for the "loco running awfully".  Yes, it needs to be put back, but this linkage would only provide a tiny bit of drag to the motion.

It may be the wipers causing extra drag.  Or the valve gear is hitting itself because it got yanked when the part came off.  Or a myriad of other potential issues. 

But a tiny bit of linkage missing?  Nay sir, that isn't the issue

Bee

Are the coupling rods straight?

Do you know how to remove the motor?  If comfortable, doing this will permit you to observe 'pinch points'.  Should be able to roll freely.

Al.