My live steam SR Schools running

Go_West

Eric001
What type of engine would you like to see Eric001?

Will keep you up to date on the Schools progress what i wanted to do was see just how small an engine could be built? The tender is going to be more of a problem. I bought a King Arthur

class the other day (EXCALIBUR) and was VERY impressed when running it on my track and this has a larger tender so might be another rebuild.

Hello Gowest,
As a little boy it was joy to see the A4s slow steaming across the viaduct at Durham station with that amazing backdrop when viewed from the park above. So Hornby chose the right ones for me. However I would really like to have a Coronation

class.

Getting back to your Schools, what are you changing in terms of the electronic controls? Did the Hornby design not suit your requirement?
It looks like you are using brass on the body of the tender, are you doing the same for the loco body?

I would imagine that Hornby would have used a thermoset plastic for theirs but I wonder if the bodies of their electric locos could withstand the much higher temperaturs. If so, that might be a short cut to making the LS loco of our desires with the associated

quality of the present range.
Has anyone tried that I wonder?
Eric

Hello Gowest,

Yes answers my questions, but pity you hadn't replied earlier.
You've just done what I was about to do. Bought a cheap Dutchess body on Esomething last night with the intention of fitting it to one of my locos to see if it melted.

Hmm..from your experiment it sounds like it will.
Being a plant engineer this is not my normal methods, to try things I mean. Normally I would investigate what the materials are and find out melting points etc but I can't find out what the chemical make

up of the material is so I'm down to trying things which is alien to me.
I've thought about heat insulating materials as you have already. I believe there is a heat sink material out there somewhere that has excellent properties but I have to find out about

that. And no doubt it will cost a kings ransome.
In the old forum someone told me the working pressure in the boiler was 2 bar (guage) so, from steam tables, the steam temperature is over 130 degrees C. What I would like to do is borrow a laser temperature

sensor from work and see what the actual temperature of various parts of the loaco are. But, as you already know, we need a thermoset body or brass.
I'm several steps behind you and I'll keep an eye out for your postings to see how you progress.

All

the best,
Eric

Hi All,

I think the name of the glass fibre is or was David's Isopon. I used it to repair a glass fibre battery box for a disability scooter, which had sheered where the screws holding the connectors for the wiring harness to the motor. Finished

colour was pink, so it would needs painting.

You could make the mould, by using epoxy filler or silicone rubber, from an existing model.

I might try making a wooden pattern from obeche. The mould would need to be sectional and each piece of the

loco glued together with epoxy glue to make the final model. I will have to buy a wood lathe and refresh my skills. I have not done any wood turning for over 50 years.

An alternative for the boiler pattern would be to use a suitable size of dowelling,

although this would only work for a paralell boiler, not tapered.

I sahh have to do a bit of detailed research.

Hello all,

There's some good investigations going on here and I hope there is success by whatever means.
Personally I was trying to make a new LS model to match the quality that Hornby have produced.
I mentioned above about using an existing

body from an electric train that might be a thermoset, and a good solution, but Gowest has already been there.
However, I've been trying to find a heat sink material that could prevent an electric loco body, which I now assume is a thermoplast, from melting.

I found a heat sink paste that might do the trick but it's experimenting again. Can't mention the company here but it begins with RS. It has a thermal conductivity of 0.65W/m2. So will that work, well..I have no idea but it might be worth a try.
It will

all take time gentlemen but lets keep trying.

With other wish lists wanting an electrically powered GWR Great Bear - could this be a candidate for a live steam model could scotsman parts be used. Also if the boiler is in the tender this could be a problem as the bears watercart was not that tall

What about using a die-cast metal body from an old Hornby Dubleo loco the A$ would be pointless but what about the rebuild WC, LMS Dutchess,GWR Castle. There are sometimes a few wrecks available on a certain internet auction site.

This Live Steam thing continues to bounce me between demoralisation and excitement and now I'm excited - thank you Gowest.

If we accept that Hornby are not going to release any new models in the short term then one way of keeping Live Steam alive

(and maybe get it re-launched) is to bring back into service those thousands of Mallards sat on shelves after just one or two problematic runs. They could be the donors to a cottage conversion industry.

Could we arrange a practical workshop to swap

ideas and experiences, maybe at the next OO Live Steam Club Roadshow at Peterborough or Warley?

Hello All,
Just out of interest, has anyone any idea how many of the different types of loco were made before production ceased? Adrian mentions thousands of Mallard sets.
Some model shops still have old stock. Managed to get a brand new Seagull

this week, and for less than the original rrp. And two others last month from old stock at the original rrp.
Eric

One off conversions yes OOlivesteamclub but not production. It's a nice idea about the Hornby Dublo bodies, would the Mazak metal be up to the heat I wonder? Perhaps someone here will try? Certainly worth a try, detailing won't be up to modern standards

that's the only rub and it won't suit the rivett counters but certainly an idea.

Archived