What type of engine would you like?

Go_West

Many here want a new LS loco if hornby did think about producing a new adition what would you like to see.

Going on the A4 and A3 a West Country might be a good engine as it can be both a rebuild and none rebuild using the same tender and running

gear just change the plastic shell

I’m very disappointed with the response to this thread the lack of interest and support; Hornby would be I think reluctant to build any further locos in LS??

It reminds me of a sign that sore in Cambridge that said…
“Owing to lack of interest

tomorrow has been cancelled”

Sorry gowest,

I remember doing this all before on the old forum.
For me though, anything with an 8 wheel tender would work well (A1, A2) - but what I would really like is a P2.
For those tired of LNER express locos (I can't imagine why) -

a Merchant Navy in original condition would be great.
I love what you have done with the "Schools" and only wish I had your skill & patience.

Hello tsot,

You've metioned this before but have you any thoughts on how to do this?
You say a stretched A3 which means sacrificing two locos to make one P1. Is that how you see it? e.g. cutting a section out of the body and chassis of one and

adding it to the other + adding another wheel set, links and any other mods to the steam workings?
Sounds really feasible but how?

Eric

This subject was discussed many times on the "old" forum ......However,my guess is that the next Live Steamer [hopefully there will be more] will be either a Bulleid Pacific [a BoB or WC body would fit the same basic chassis] or a Stanier Pacific [Princess

or Coronation,the Coronation could be in both streamlined or unstreamlined form]......these two options would give Hornby the chance to market the design in two [BoB/WC] versions or three different versions of the Stanier locos.
I'll take another guess

at the possibility of GWR locos .....maybe a King/Castle variant or Hall/Manor variant could be possible......as the prototypical locos were reasonably similar.
Either way,my guess is that it will be on a chassis which Hornby could use for two [or more]

variants in the same way as they [Hornby] used the A4/A3 chassis.

best regards
Terry

Hi Eric

Nope I'm sure it can be done from an A3 without wrecking another loco, you might need a spare chassis to provide the extra wheelset and rods and provide an extension for the chassis used for the loco, the body bits could come from a spare

A3 body. However I am sure it wouldn't take two locos to build it, just parts and a little inginuity. Gowest has a built schools perhaps he has a wheelset and bits left over from the conversion, just an idea?

I doubt if the workings would need much

if any modification, as you are only extending the chassis of an existing live steam A3 loco and adding a new wheelset, plus doing a front bogie change. The underframe will of course have detail differences, but purely cosmetic.

It should be a very

easy conversion to do.

Hi tsot,

I have spare wheel sets and axles and spare running gear parts. I've made an equiry with a model shop that has provided me with many spares to see if they can acquire a chassis and an A3 loco body but as yet not had a reply. I've seen loco

bodies on E..something but they are few and far between.
Do you have any detailed drawings? I would imagine, and correct me if I am wrong, the body and chassis would be extended by one pitch of the wheel set. I have no idea how the front bogie is designed

have you?
Looks like Gowest will be succesful with his project but I also think we could be getting closer to making another entirely new loco and not only with the P1. But that would be my starting point if I can get the parts that doesn't necessitate

canibalising one of my existing models.
Wish I was retired so I could spend more time on this!!

Hi All,

How about a LNER Garratt 2-8-0 + 0-2-8. I have found a body shell on this site:

http://www.djhengineering.co.uk/loco/prodloco.asp?ProdID=3009

All I need now is to find out if it will melt or distort when used with live steam.

I

also found this site for wheel sets and other accessories:

http://www.btinternet.com/~markits/MARKITS_Price_Guide_2011_04.pdf

Sorry to burst the bubble guys .....but any [?] new Live Steamer models aint gonna be a "one off" loco [like a Super A4/Garrett/W1/P1] ..... it's gonna have to be a common loco,of which Hornby can turn out at least two versions of to make it worth their

while.

Now just yourself here ..... "WHAT ARE THE TWO BEST KNOWN STEAM IN THE WORLD" ???? .....Yeah.it was [is?] Mallard and the Scotsman ....they are the steam loco which appealed [and was/is known by so many people] .....hence the A4 & A3.
Somehow,a

W1/P1/Garrett just aint the same.....no-ones prob'ly heard of them outside "Rail Afficianado" circles,and Hornby will want to appeal to the masses with any new models.
The Streamlined Coro [6229,DoH] has generated a lot of interest at the National Railway

Museum at York ....the glory days of the GWR may generate a little interest [hence my Castle/King/Manor/Hall earlier post] .....maybe a Black5? .....I guess even a 9F "Evening Star" may appeal.
Either way .....its gonna have to be something which appeas

to the "man in the street",and not the usual "rail modeller" sorta guy who is the usual target for Hornbys new releases.....[and "they" cant even be bothered to bring out a DC/DCC model of a W1/P1 etc] ....But still .....we can at least dream .... [my moneys

still on a Stanier or Bulleid Pacific]

best regards
Terry

Now just yourself here

That should have read read "Just ASK yourself here" ......is there something amiss with the Admin on this forum ..... Dont they trust us to have an "edit" button .....or even a "PREVIEW" button....????? .....a simple typo,and

they dont even trust me [enough] to be able to correct it.

I'm thoroughly hacked off with this forum ....ALREADY!!

T.

Hi Eric

Try doing a websearch for LNER info, there is a very good site which shows pics and dimensions of the P1 locos, hope that helps you a bit with it. It looks like a giant A3 with smaller 5' 2" wheels. Liveries works grey, LNER Apple Green

with number and LNER on tender, LNER Apple Green, LNER Black and NE Black. Both locos cut up in 1945 as life expired.

Five poss six liveries for the rebuilt W1, TerryB. Works Grey, rummour but I have never seen the pic of rebuilt loco in Battleship

grey style livery as per first A4's, LNER Garter Blue, BR Experimental/Caley Blue, Early BR Green, BR Late Green. plenty of choice there.

Hi Terry

WHY A DUCK?

They say that when thinking about his new A4 engine Sir Nigel Gresley was living at Salisbury Hall which being an old house had a large poud in the garden and most days would go and feed the duck's so the name it is said

came about.

I am a GWR man and the thing with a King or a Castle which hold a speed record for the fastest stop start run is no out side valve gear which like the West Country class have less parts to worry about.

Hello Terry,

Not sure if you get the point mate. A few enthusiasts would like to make a LS loco of their own liking other than what Hornby have produced already. Hornby will not be making any more, so in this case any others produced by individuals

will be 'one off's'.

Best regards,
Eric

P.S. be careful how you reply or the administrator might get you. I had reservations about the new forum site at first but it's quite alright really.

I would buy into Live Steam with a GWR Castle/King in the range.

Hi

Eri ....Well,I guess if I could choose my own choice of Live Steamer to build I'd opt for a Black5 or a Jubilee.
btw, re "admin" ..... I'm a moderator myself on a coupla forums .....Hornby pays the rent,so they have the last word.

LOL .....yeah,but "Golden Eagle" ....."Merlin" ...."Falcon" ....????? they're names of fast aggressive birds .....But MALLARD??? its just a little duck .....

best regards
T.

Archived